Wobbly tyres!

Options
tomstickland
tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
First Post Combo Breaker
I've got a 1991 BMW 318iS and normally run Goodyear F1 tyres (£32 each from mytyres.net). These don't last long, around 10K max.
Anyway, I was going to work on Monday when the car went very sideways on a 90 deg bend. "slippery road" I thought. It then went very sideways on a roundabout and I was suspicious. So I had a look and I had a rear flat.
I pumped it up with my mountain bike track pump and called round the local tyre place.
The tyre was wrecked where it had rubbed when flat. It was worn anyway. Sadly though, the only tyres they had in that would fit were Goodyear Regals. I've never heard of them before, but had no choice but to have 2 rears fitted and hope that the "performance-comfort" branding didn't mean they lacked grip.

Well, I've been quite shocked by them! On tight corners they grip OK, but the back of the car wobbles around. It's actually scared me a few times. It takes about 10% less steering input because of the extra back movement. I'm not sure whether it's entertaining or frightening.

I've also found that the car seems to oscillate slighty. I'll be driving along at, say, 70 on the motorway and over a time period of 2-3 seconds the car will try to pull slightly one way and then the other. This has perplexed me slightly. I'm hoping that this is down to them being new and that they'll "scrub in". The effect wasn't there before I had them fitted.

Anyway, I don't really want to buy 4 new F1s (£120 + £40 fitting) so I'm probably going to have to live with these for a month or two.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever experienced anything like this.
Happy chappy

Comments

• highguyuk
    highguyuk Posts: 2,763 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It sounds like you need to get your tracking sorted, or get your wheels balanced.

Take your car down to your local independant tyre fitters and asked them to balance your wheels - should do it for £5-£10 a wheel. If that doesn't solve it, you may need to sort your tracking out.

Personally, I would be tempted to go back to the place that you had them fitted and ask why they didn't balance them in the first place ...
  • Jorgan_2
    Jorgan_2 Posts: 2,270 Forumite
    Options
    There not directional tyres are they? If so check they have been fitted correctly.
  • A_Doonhamer
    A_Doonhamer Posts: 109 Forumite
    Options
    From what he describes it dosnt sound like it has anything to do with the wheel balance. Other than that I cant offer any advice other than take it back to where you got the tyres and explain the problem to them.
  • tomstickland
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Balance would not provoke this, plus they were balanced. Tracking is in.
    However, I think it's a combination of:
    -slightly "crap" tyres for what I want ie: too thin a side wall.
    -new tyre surface
    -wear in the suspension

I think that these tyres have just highlighted some other problem. I've been planning on rebuilding the suspension for a while anyway.
    Happy chappy
  • tomstickland
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OK, I've decided that these Regal tyres are, basically, crap and I'm going to get 4 new Eagle F1s fitted.

-local tyre place £215 all in
    -Protyre £200 all in
    -buy from Mytyres.net and fitted at local place £182 all in

I asked Protyre what they thought of Regal tyres and they said "budget tyres, not performance". I paid £105 for two fitted, but then again I was desperate. Lesson learnt I think.
    Happy chappy
  • tomstickland
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Loads of people have now told me that Regal tyres are rubbish. Maybe OK if you want cheap tyres, but no use if you want to have any semblance of control on corners.
    Happy chappy
  • southernscouser
    Options
    Is it possible that you knocked the tracking out while driving with a flat? :think:

I'm assuming you bought the Regals brand new and as they have only a few miles on them you should be able to get something back for them! :)
  • tomstickland
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Rear wheels don't have tracking. I could sell them on Ebay, or I could wear them down. I'm going for option 2. They've got better as I've worn them in, but they're a bit stupid. Mild bends at mild speeds result in the car being comically sideways.
    Happy chappy
  • southernscouser
    Options
    Rear wheels don't have tracking. I could sell them on Ebay, or I could wear them down. I'm going for option 2. They've got better as I've worn them in, but they're a bit stupid. Mild bends at mild speeds result in the car being comically sideways.

Sorry I meant could it put stress on the fronts to knock them out? I've no real idea just throwing suggestions in to the hat! ;)
  • tomstickland
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think it's a combination of non-performance tyres and inherent slop in the suspension.
    Happy chappy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport