PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

First offer - a question

Options
Jennings_2
Jennings_2 Posts: 6 Forumite
edited 18 April 2010 at 2:03PM in House buying, renting & selling
I have seen a house that I like. It is up for 315K with the promise of 15K cashback on completion, to cover the cost of modernising that needs doing.

I feel that the work needed is way beyond 15K.

The estate agent that took me around said he values it at 275K, and the seller was unhappy with this suggestion.

I have an offer for my house, so the estate agents consider us 'hot' (although I am no George Clooney). I am not an expert, but I would only be prepared to pay 270K max. Thus I want to open with a 260K offer.

I want to appear interested. Am I going about this the right way?

Thanks for reading. I am searching the forums for similar posts - but there is so much good stuff on here that it is taking me hours to get through :).

Comments

• Sammy85_2
    Sammy85_2 Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    Options
    You can offer anything you like, but since the owners havent listened to the EA's recommendation i doubt they will entertain your offer.

I would put in the offer stating what the house is worth in your opinion and the cost of works you think need doing. If nothing else it may make the seller realise the agent was right..
    :jProud mummy to a beautiful baby girl born 22/12/11 :j
  • Emmzi
    Emmzi Posts: 8,658 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I assume by interested you mean "interested at 270k or lesss" and you won't be gutted walking away at 270?

I would offer
    - subject to valuation survey
    - and builders quotes
    - in awareness of current position
    - and tell them you are not interested in gimmicks like cashback
    Debt free 4th April 2007.
    New house. Bigger mortgage. MFWB after I have my buffer cash in place.
  • bloaty
    bloaty Posts: 757 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I was very interested in your post as we have decided to invest our capital in a bigger property and consider downsizing closer to retirement.

We went to view a property today which has been on the market since Dec at £325K. When we called at the Estate Agents they said the property was overpriced so sounds like they have valued it at less but sellers (who are quite elderly and looking to move nearer their daughter) want as much as possible to purchase another property.

The bungalow is nice and spacious, in a good location but they have been there over 30 yrs and not done anything to it and it looks tired and dated.

It has potential but the bathroom and kitchen need replacing - which is normal, oil central heating so we would want to change this for gas and the roof needs some work on it.

The market in my area is quite flat at the moment, a detached corner bungalow in my road was on the market at £185K this time last year and has just sold for £155K. It was left to brother and sister and I think they wanted the money so have decided to let it go, as down the road there are smaller semi's on the market for £159K. We haven't got our bungalow on the market at the moment but depending on the offer price we could possibly take out a smallish mortgage and rent our property for the time being but money would then be limited for modernisation, so not sure what to do.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated please?
    We seek a world in which everyone with HIV/AIDS can live an abundant life
    Want to join us?
  • Jennings_2
    Options
    !!!!!!!
    Asking price = 310. A lot of work needs doing. I value it at 279 max.

I offered 265. Rejected "come back with better offer".
    I went back with 270. Rejected "I want 285 before I will even start to consider asking the wife"
    The estate agent says try 280! but that is 10K more!

What should I offer?
  • Milliewilly
    Milliewilly Posts: 1,081 Forumite
    Options
    Jennings wrote: »
    !!!!!!!
    Asking price = 310. A lot of work needs doing. I value it at 279 max.

I offered 265. Rejected "come back with better offer".
    I went back with 270. Rejected "I want 285 before I will even start to consider asking the wife"
    The estate agent says try 280! but that is 10K more!

What should I offer?

Offer to start looking at other properties and ask the EA to book you some viewings.

Why is the EA deciding the property is worth £280 after telling you £275? And why between yesterday afternoon and this evening have you decided its worth 9K more?
  • richardvc
    richardvc Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    You shouldn't - you should explain the strength of your offer ie own house under offer and stick to your valuation of 270k.

It's a game - some you win, some you lose.

Please don't pay more than you believe it's worth !
    Thanks to MSE I cleared £37k of debt in five years and I was lucky enough to meet Martin to thank him personally.
  • Cannon_Fodder
    Cannon_Fodder Posts: 3,980 Forumite
    Options
    Slow down!

No need to immediately go back with another offer. They have no better offer. Sit tight a while.

Maybe see some other properties, if only to confirm this is "the one" for you.

Another 48 hours or so will have his wife giving him ear-ache for risking missing out on where she wants to move to...!
  • Jennings_2
    Options
    ... And why between yesterday afternoon and this evening have you decided its worth 9K more?

Sorry. Yesterday's was a typo. I initially thought it was worth 279 - but I am no expert at all.

My head is spinning.
  • Milliewilly
    Milliewilly Posts: 1,081 Forumite
    Options
    I would leave it a few days and then see if the EA comes back to you. If not then offer your £279 if you really want it. If you are having a Mortgage you may be surprised when the lender values anyway.
  • Jennings_2
    Options
    .. If you are having a Mortgage you may be surprised when the lender values anyway.

What do you mean Millywilly?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport