Cheapest wat to Call USA

Options
SID_2
SID_2 Posts: 15 Forumite
Please can someone please tell me what is the cheapest way to call the USA from my BT landline? Is there a way to call free. Thanks

Comments

• Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Personally, I use www.18185.co.uk and pay 4p connection and ½p per minute.

http://callchecker.moneysavingexpert.com/intcallchecker/index.php

But there are those who swear by the Teletop service - pay £1.50 up front by calling their Premium Rate number and then call the USA for 5p connection and 0p per minute (if you have a free way of calling their 0208 dial-through number).
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Carl.
    Carl. Posts: 139 Forumite
    Options
    I also use the VoipStunt/VoipCheap family of products but rather than making the call through the PC I use the direct call feature by which you dial your landline and then the destination number is dialed.

There is a 3p/c charge only applied when it connects to the destination number and the call is free for upto an hour, once the hour is up, simply redial.

When doing this the web interface is better than the software interface because if you close the software or are disconnected from the web the call will terminate, whereas if you connect the call from the webpage the call remains active upon disconnection/closure of the page.

As the credit is already on your account with virtually no way of using it up considering calls are mostly free it is a simple way of making (almost) free landline to landline calls to (almost) anywhere in the world!
  • MiserlyMartin
    Options
    I am finding 18185 call quality is not good and i get cut off often. Whats teletop like for QofService? I wouldn't want to 'top up' on that premium rate number and find the service is rubbish...

And 18185 is the same company as 1899 and 18866, are these services as bad as 18185 for USA calls?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure