Installing a doorway into Garage?

Options
Hi everyone, Im hoping someone could give me an idea of how much I should expect to pay to have a doorway put in from my hallway into my garage. The wall is "breeze block" and I would also need my bottom stair extending to accomodate the doorway correctly (seen this done in another property similar to ours).

Also, what would be a reasonable fee to have a bathroom suite fitted? (West Midlands).

Many thanks.

Comments

• BobProperty
    BobProperty Posts: 3,245 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ALI1973 wrote:
    Hi everyone, Im hoping someone could give me an idea of how much I should expect to pay to have a doorway put in from my hallway into my garage. The wall is "breeze block" and I would also need my bottom stair extending to accomodate the doorway correctly (seen this done in another property similar to ours).
    Be careful with this, I think you need Building Regulation approval as it has to be a fire door. Phone the Building Control department of your local authority (before 09:30-10:00 and after 15:30-16:00 cos they're all out otherwise ;) )
    As a rough guess, several hundred.
    ALI1973 wrote:
    Also, what would be a reasonable fee to have a bathroom suite fitted? (West Midlands).

Many thanks.
    Somewhere between £200 and £60,000. You'll have to be more specific on what you want doing and what products/materials you expect to use.
    A house isn't a home without a cat.
    Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.
    I have writer's block - I can't begin to tell you about it.
    You told me again you preferred handsome men but for me you would make an exception.
    It's a recession when your neighbour loses his job; it's a depression when you lose yours.
  • ALI1973
    ALI1973 Posts: 288 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Bob for the reply, this is why this site is sooooo fantastic - I would never have thought about building regs!.

The bathroom is a straight replacement except I want a corner toilet instead of the standard one. Then its just fitting new replacements. I do want it tiled too but I read on another thread that its best to get seperate tradesmen.

Any advise on how to keep costs down would be greatly appreciated, as unfortuantely I have loads that needs doing and not much dosh!

Thanks, Ali
  • BobProperty
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Are you buying the suite and just want someone to fit it? The situation with employing 2 trades is that you have to co-ordinate the work. First question is can you live without the bathroom for a couple of weeks? If you can, that makes it a lot easier. The plumber will clear the bathroom, move the pipework and possibly fit the bath. Then the tiler would tile the bathroom. Then the plumber returns to fit the WC, washbasin and finish off other things like the bath panel, shower screen etc. Where it gets complicated is if you need the floor replacing for instance, or you only have the one bathroom and need to keep it working.
    Have a look at some of the info on here:
    http://www.trustedtradesmen.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4930&PN=1&TPN=2

And to get an idea about levels of finish and quality:
    http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/forum1/viewtopic.php?t=237
    but I'll warn you, that quality isn't cheap.
    You told me again you preferred handsome men but for me you would make an exception.
    It's a recession when your neighbour loses his job; it's a depression when you lose yours.
  • HugoSP
    HugoSP Posts: 2,467 Forumite
    Options
    You WILL need building regs for the door into the garage. It will need to be a fire door with a 1/2 hour rating I think, plus you'll need a step down into the garage or threashold between the garage and the rest of the house, this is assuming you're no converting the garage to living space.

The reason for the step is to stop flammable liquids spreading under the door, especially useful if they happen to be on fire at the time!
    Behind every great man is a good woman
    Beside this ordinary man is a great woman
    £2 savings jar - now at £3.42:rotfl:
  • lovelldr
    lovelldr Posts: 269 Forumite
    Options
    HugoSP wrote:
    You WILL need building regs for the door into the garage. It will need to be a fire door with a 1/2 hour rating I think, plus you'll need a step down into the garage or threashold between the garage and the rest of the house, this is assuming you're no converting the garage to living space.

The reason for the step is to stop flammable liquids spreading under the door, especially useful if they happen to be on fire at the time!

What about if you were not putting a door into the garage? Does it still need that step down?

As we're moving into a house soon with an integral garage, and this has made me think!

Thanks guys
  • Purdy_1
    Purdy_1 Posts: 756 Forumite
    Options
    We have been thinking of adding a door to lead into our garage. It would be leading off the porch, not from inside the house. Do I need to inform anyone or get permission from planning etc?
  • BobProperty
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    HugoSP wrote:

I wasn't saying because I'm 60/40 thinking it's an hour in this situation, hence the phone call to BC.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure