New Post Advanced Search

Change Gravity Plumbing to Pumped

8 replies 1.2K views
KeldinKeldin Forumite
296 posts
Hi
I'm planning on making some changes to my plumbing setup so that we can replace our old boiler with a Rayburn stove and have it run the central heating and domestic hot water.
At present we have a gravity system with cold water tanks in the loft, airing cupboard and hot water tank in the top floor bedroom and boiler in the kitchen. It's all vertcially in a line.
Now in the interests of space (it's a small 2/3 floor cottage) we would like to put the hot water tank somewhere else. Now I've been told it can't go in the loft but can go in our cellar/pantry which is the same level as the current boiler and the hopefullt future Rayburn (boiler is exactlt where we want the Rayburn so that helps with some of the pipework i guess - new hot tank will be 4 metres away). We would have to chaneg from a gravity to a pumped sytem (so I'm told) to do this.
Is there any way to get rid of the cold tanks in the loft and connect staright to the rising main with e pumped system or is that impossible? The rising main comes right past where the new hot tank would go.
How much approximately would something like this cost?
Many Thanks
David

Replies

• robowenrobowen Forumite
    3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    What you are asking for...is an unvented system or Thermal storage.
    Can't give you a price as all jobs are different.

A lot of manufacturers supply these systems with all the required parts in 1 kit.

this site explains the differences :
    http://www.inspiredheating.co.uk/cylinders.htm
    Here's one manufacturer that is quite common for these systems :
    http://www.heatraesadia.com/hs/heatraes.nsf
    If only everything in life was as reliable...AS ME !!
    robowen 5/6/2005©

''Never take an idiot anywhere with you. You'll always find one when you get there.''
  • robowen wrote:
    What you are asking for...is an unvented system or Thermal storage.
    Can't give you a price as all jobs are different.

A lot of manufacturers supply these systems with all the required parts in 1 kit.

this site explains the differences :
    http://www.inspiredheating.co.uk/cylinders.htm
    Here's one manufacturer that is quite common for these systems :
    http://www.heatraesadia.com/hs/heatraes.nsf

The above are ok for the hot water side,but what about the heating as thats on gravity,and still needs a tank to fill up the system.

The hot water must be stored in an open-vented, vertical, conventional copper cylinder, installed so as to operate from gravity circulation, preferably connected as an indirect system as shown below and suitably insulated. A storage capacity of 140 litres is preferred. Electric immersion heaters may also be incorporated.

It is possible for the Rayburn to share the domestic hot water load with an additional appliance, this being achieved by the use of a twin-coil cylinder. Both appliances should have their own separate systems and feed tanks. As the Rayburn has no independent water thermostat to give temperature control, it should be allowed to contribute the bulk of the heat to the cylinder, using the bottom coil. The other appliance should only heat the cylinder on demand using, a cylinder thermostat in conjunction with a motorised zone valve. No valves or restrictions should be fitted to the Rayburn circuit

the cylinder could go in the loft,the only restriction is height,you something like these,then not need for tanks in the loft.
    seagull_img01.jpg
    Seagull indirect packaged plumbing units are for use with gas, oil or solid fuel and will supply hot water for single and multi bathroom dwellings.

The Seagull has integral primary and secondary cold feed tanks complete with their own ballvalves and overflows, making it a genuine double feed tank. Either circuit can be drained down for maintenance leaving the other circuit intact. There is complete safety in using primary circuit additives because the true double feed format, with two ball valves, totally prevents migration from primary to secondary.

The Seagull offers considerable savings in both installation and capital costs whilst retaining design and flexibility.

- Two completely self-contained systems in one unit

- Seagull packaged plumbing units do away with the need for separate cold water storage and expansion tanks and associated plumbing.

Available in circular or rectangular form
    Seagull packaged plumbing units are designed to make the maximum use of available space. The rectangular version is particularly suitable for use in roof areas where headroom is limited, and for fitting into tight corners generally. With capacities from 114 litres upwards, the Seagull range will suit almost all project requirements.
    A thankyou is payment enough .
  • need anything else?
  • KeldinKeldin Forumite
    296 posts
    That's great thanks.
    Now I have an idea of what is possible I can look into it - I had never heard of unvented systems before just thought something like this must be possible.
    It seems any time you ask a plumber or heating engineer or in fact any professional what can be done they tend to tell you only what they like to do. Unless you know to ask you never find out.
    Thanks again
    Keldin
  • Keldin wrote:
    That's great thanks.
    Now I have an idea of what is possible I can look into it - I had never heard of unvented systems before just thought something like this must be possible.
    It seems any time you ask a plumber or heating engineer or in fact any professional what can be done they tend to tell you only what they like to do. Unless you know to ask you never find out.
    Thanks again
    Keldin
    Not all plumbers are the same,and if you get a good one keep him,as he,s not just for Christmas,

I went into a Travis Perking dept(stafford) today,4 women behind the counter and only one bloke,what the world comeing too,how can i ask to see what size of brass nippels she has,it was like Russ Myers valley of the vixen,s.
  • Good job you didn't ask her for a longscrew!

LOL
    Gaz
    When you lay turfs its green side up!
  • Gaz_Hammer wrote:
    Good job you didn't ask her for a longscrew!

LOL
    Gaz
    not had 1 since 1985,those where days,boss white and hemp
  • Its all plastic now ;)

Mains pressure hot water is such a ripoff in UK, £600+ for a metal tank with a coil inside!
    In States you can go down to Home Depot and get a complete unit with built in gas or electric heater for $99/£60, admittedly on special offer, unfortunately they wouldn't let me get it on the plane back :rolleyes:

Scat ;)
    Moi....? ;)

Martin asked me to say I'm a volunteer Board Guide on the Utilities board, facilitating its smooth running. I can move & change posts there. However I do not read every post.
    Dealing with abusive or illegal posts is not part of my role, so if you spot any, please report them HERE.
    Views I express are mine alone, and not official ones of MoneySavingExpert.com
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support