We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

18 year old student in debt, please help!

Options
13»

Comments

• tallyhoh
    tallyhoh Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How old were you when you signed this gym contract, 18? It may be unenforceable if you were under age.
    Tallyhoh! Stopped Smoking October 2000. Saved £29382.50 so far!
  • DarkConvict
    DarkConvict Posts: 6,338 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    vaporate wrote: »
    Denied the service even if u paid up? lol sod that. I would refuse to pay even more for deff if it were me. Sod credit report. mickey mouse anyway.

Not like you will get a mortgage, loan anyway lol

Yes, because you didn't pay up on time. If you ever default on a contract it goes against you, not in your favour. And if you don't pay up they can use the courts to enforce the debt showing the contractual terms and get a CCJ to recover the debt. Fail to pay a CCJ and you have the court bailiffs to contend with.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies
  • louise242424
    Options
    Hi, I was 17, this was july last year. I was also a student and asked for a student contract but they said lifestyle would be better for me and somehow convinced me. At the time I was working so I thought it would be fine but obviously not.

I got my mum to call C.A.R.S and I still have to pay all of the money but they made a payment agreement so I pay £50 each month, so end of april, may, june and then £45 july. I'm also writing a letter to terminate my contract at the end of july. My mum told them she wants a confirmation letter too so hopefully they will send one.
    And I can still go the gym, even though i hardly ever have time but i guess i'll have to now...
  • louise242424
    Options
    Hi niccatw
    I just read that link you sent. That has confused me lol, I sort of sorted things out with C.A.R.S but now i'm thinking I should of ignored them and just went to fitness first?! but then that person is quitting membership and i owed two payments :|
    Also my mum has given them her debit card details to take a payment out 30th april...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure