We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

18 year old student in debt, please help!

Options

Comments

• DarkConvict
    DarkConvict Posts: 6,338 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 15 April 2010 at 3:09PM
    Options
    The credit record is a list of all credit you hold, although it can include service agreements.

Mobile Contracts for regular users is cheaper than PAYG. If you haven't heard of a credit report i am surprised and strongly encourage you to read this, as it will affect manage purchases in your life from credit card/loan rates, limits of credit, available mortgages, affects on insurance and many services you pay per month instead of in full. - http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_the_public/topic_specific_guides/credit.aspx

and read this too http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documents/library/data_protection/practical_application/credit_explained_leaflet_2005.pdf

and finally this http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/credit-rating-credit-score

not trying to be your parents, but You really need to know about it now your 18. You can start getting contracts at 18, and have already defaulted a contract and are in debt. This is why compluasry finance education is been brought in, many forum members have been in your position but didnt know to stop it and address the problem. So they are here on the long road repaying there debts.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies
  • niccatw
    niccatw Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 April 2010 at 3:12PM
    Options
    You credit file is a list of all the credit you have (so bank accounts, loans, credit cards, phone contracts, store cards, catalogues). It basically lets the companies trying to sell you this stuff see how much of a risk you are when it comes to paying, so it will list when you've missed payments, when you have defaulted on something (normally, if you don't pay for 3 months in a row, a default is issued, I think) or if you have been issued a county court judgement (CCJ) for mot paying.

If you don't want to take out any contracts, you will probably be ok. Just make sure you are always listed on the electoral role wherever you are and if you do have any other credit, set up direct debits to meet the minimum payments and your credit rating will clear itself up in time.

ETA: Dark Convict beat me to it. And he's right, best you find out about it now, it'll stand you in great stead for any future credit you need (as apposed to want ;) )
    Jan10: 28,315.81 Jan11: 18,015.32 Jan12: 7,682.58 Jan13: 2,987.73 Current debt: 1,225.55
    HFC [STRIKE]1896.10. [/STRIKE] 225.55 SLC2 [STRIKE]5123.34[/STRIKE] 0 Others [STRIKE]2085[/STRIKE] 1000 Bcard [STRIKE]1172.60[/STRIKE] 0

Mike's Mob
  • louise242424
    Options
    Thanks guys, i wish i knew about this before, i've saved them so going to read them after as i'm going out. i really need to check to see if they have added this credit file or not
  • skintdragon
    skintdragon Posts: 299 Forumite
    edited 15 April 2010 at 4:11PM
    Options
    louise242424,

I only knew about credit reports/ ratings over the last couple of years (and I'm a bit older than you!), but not exactly sure how I found out about it. Had I known about it sooner, I probably would've conducted my student (and subsequent) days quite differently!! Oh well! You have the chance to redeem yourself, so just be weary when signing the dotted line in any situation. Hope you get your problem sorted. :A
    :mad: Hindsight is a wonderful thing...
    :j One of Mike's Mob! yea!!!
    F
    inally settled full balance of RBS personal loan ahead of schedule on 10th August 2010 :money:

DEBT FREE AT LAST... BUT FOR HOW LONG?! :eek:
  • louise242424
    Options
    C.A.R.S called me about an hour ago from an 077 number which seemed to be a mobile number... anyway i couldnt really speak as i was busy but they told me i had to pay the £194 and that i could still use the gym till july when my contract ends if i pay it. they also said i have to pay through them and if i pay through fitness first they will tell me to go to C.A.R.S. I'm worried about paying through them as they seem abit dodgy and i would rather pay in person instead of online or over the phone...so not sure what to do.
  • Lottebear
    Lottebear Posts: 794 Forumite
    Options
    I would go to your Student advice centre, they will be able to offer your some advice and maybe provide a hardship grant/loan to help your situation.
  • louise242424
    Options
    Hi Lottebear, would that be connexions?

They asked me if i could pay the money today, i said no and i will try tomorrow but i don't actually have the money, like literally nothing but my mum may help but i know she doesn't really want to but it's the only option at the minute/
  • niccatw
    niccatw Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Louise

I found this link about Fitness First, which might be useful (if it doesn't confuse you more, as it did me!)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/234286-fitness-first-passed-dca.html
    Jan10: 28,315.81 Jan11: 18,015.32 Jan12: 7,682.58 Jan13: 2,987.73 Current debt: 1,225.55
    HFC [STRIKE]1896.10. [/STRIKE] 225.55 SLC2 [STRIKE]5123.34[/STRIKE] 0 Others [STRIKE]2085[/STRIKE] 1000 Bcard [STRIKE]1172.60[/STRIKE] 0

Mike's Mob
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi your NUS card should enable you to have help from the legal dept of the student union. I dont know about connexions. Go to see them if poss on Monday. With so many people being students they should have a bit of power up their sleeve. I hope. Good luck.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • vaporate
    vaporate Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    Options
    No, if you default on gym/phone/insurance contracts, the provider is lawfully allowed to stop the service and demand payment in full (to the value of the contract + arrears). You will find it in the terms and conditions you sign up to.

Denied the service even if u paid up? lol sod that. I would refuse to pay even more for deff if it were me. Sod credit report. mickey mouse anyway.

Not like you will get a mortgage, loan anyway lol
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure