PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Does anyone manage the monthly challenge shopping organic?

Options
If so, then how much do you spend because we seem to be struggling to get it to under 150.00 inc. petrol weekly!
We were spending 300 pounds a week some weeks but have managed to get it down, but can't figure out how some people manage on 150 for the month!
We are two adults (me pg) and 2 small children, oh and 2 cats.
Thanks for any replies!

Comments

• SeeWeed
    SeeWeed Posts: 86 Forumite
    Options
    I try to and I do accept that it is hard on a budget and not always possible. Do you buy your organic produce from the supermarket? If so, I would try to find alternative suppliers who may be cheaper.
    For me, I would rather buy local produce that is fully traceable and hasn't flown half way across the world and if it's organically grown then it's a bonus!
    Also I find eating less meat or buying cheaper cuts works out much better on a budget. For example a free range corn fed chicken from my local farmer costs about double the price of a supermarket one but I make sure I use the whole thing for at least two or three meals plus stock therefore making it cost effective.
    I budget £40 per week for three people.

SW
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member No. 133
    Debt Free Date August 2014 :j
    The £2.00 Coin Savers Club = £22.00
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I manage organic veg, and occasionally meat. I spend about £30 a week, to feed 2 adults and 3 children, inclused cleaning stuff/toiletries.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • spookycat_2
    Options
    HOW!? How do you do it? Where and what do you buy?
    We generally do get most things from a local Sainsbury's, but won't buy it unless it was produced in the UK, at a push I can cope with Europe, but won't buy from America's or Asia etc.
    This year we started an allotment (org) and hopefully will have it up and fully running by next years crop.
    We eat meat about 2-3 times a week, but do not buy a whole chicken for instance, which I understand would be more cost effective. What meals do you cook with a whole chicken?
    We tried a box scheme but ended up throwing more food away than made this viable. We do decide what meals to have every week and shop accordingly but the weekly groceries are still between 60-80 quid. I live near Newcastle and have searched for local farms but there are none near that are organic, ultimately the reason for the allotment.
    Do you mind if I ask what you spend your money on?
  • Norbert_Colon
    Options
    I've been thinking about this myself - I buy everything organic if possible, and as a result spend about £180 a month on food for one person. Looking at the budgets some people have posted, this does seem very extravagant.
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't buy ready made food. I can't get all organic meat as it would be too expensive, but some things like lamb will have had a better life. I get a veg box delivered from river nene. I will post more in detail tomorrow but it really is easy!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Icemaiden
    Icemaiden Posts: 641 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I agree with SeeWeed. I try and avoid the supermarkets and buy local produce, Is there a farm shop in your area? Today for example I bought 13 chicken fillets, nice big ones, not the skinny filled with water supermarket type and only paid £4.70, 24 beef sausages which were made on the premises for £2.90 and 2lbs of lovely lean beef mince for £1.99. I also got a massive bag of all different types of fruit & veg for about £5 which the farm has grown themselves.
    I spend £200 a month for four of us including milkman & cleaning stuff, we do eat quite alot of meat and always have a puddings after every meal.
    Rebel No 22
  • jayarr_2
    jayarr_2 Posts: 182 Forumite
    Options
    how do u find about farm shops in your area..??
    Budget for Jan/Feb £240 per 4 weeks
    Week 1-£52 :rolleyes: Week 2-£75 :eek:
    Week 3-£60.66 :confused:Week 4-£29.98 Total=£217.58
    w/c 18th Feb: £6.50
  • rosy
    rosy Posts: 642 Forumite
    Options
    spookycat wrote:
    We eat meat about 2-3 times a week, but do not buy a whole chicken for instance, which I understand would be more cost effective. What meals do you cook with a whole chicken?
    I used to have the chicken as a roast dinner then make something else on day two. Now though I get three meals out of it for four people by eking(sp) the meat out more. This week I roasted it with small potatoes and red peppers in the oven at the same time. I took about a third of the meat off and mixed with the potatoes and peppers with some olive oil and balsamic vinegar and tossed in some lettuce ( a warm salad really). I might have something like chicken in a white sauce with mushrooms, peas,carrots served with rice on the second day. Or chicken curry, padded out with chick peas, dried apricots, raisins and potatoes ( I use the leftover potatoes from the first day in this too if I have any left ). The third day is always chicken soup - boil some pasta as usual but use chicken stock to cook it in ( made from the roast chicken - I keep the carcasses in the freezer and make a batch of stock when I have a few - or else I use Marigold powder instead in the pasta) and add the rest of the chicken to the pan of pasta as it cooks. When it's ready do not drain the pasta but whisk in a couple of eggs. I sometimes have bread with this but TBH it's filling as it is.
  • Icemaiden
    Icemaiden Posts: 641 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    jayarr wrote:

Google it - Farm shops in (your area)
    Ask about, friends/family
    Mine advertisers in the local newspaper.
    Rebel No 22
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    jayarr wrote:
    This should help;)

http://www.bigbarn.co.uk/food/articles/index.php?articleid=198
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family