MSE News: Cash payments set to slump further

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Coins and notes will be used in less than half of transactions within five years, according to research out today ..."
Read the full story:
OfficialStamp.gif

Replies

• Butterfly_BrainButterfly_Brain Forumite
    8.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    ✭✭✭✭
    God what a horrible thought I am only able to budget properly with cash.
    I hate debit cards with a passsion!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • LokoloLokolo Forumite
    20.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    God what a horrible thought I am only able to budget properly with cash.
    I hate debit cards with a passsion!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am the complete opposite. :D
  • edited 14 April 2010 at 1:27PM
    ScottySmogScottySmog Forumite
    235 Posts
    edited 14 April 2010 at 1:27PM
    If they phase it out altogether, will beggars, buskers and Big Issue sellers be equipped with card terminals?
  • x_Bunny_xx_Bunny_x Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    I saw this on the teletext last night. I have never really stood in the shop looking to see what people use to pay for their groceries. I know there is always the one in front of you paying by card and holding the queue up.

I ALWAYS see lots of people queing at the atm machines though for cash. Next time i go shopping im going to secretly see how people pay for their groceries :D
    _Jen_
  • RafterRafter Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    Already happening in Africa and South America. Your mobile phone effectively becomes your wallet. You can make cash transfers or payments to anyone with a mobile and immediately see how much you have.

I'm sure there will be displays on debit cards before long too.

R
    Smile :), it makes people wonder what you have been up to.
  • Rafter wrote: »
    Already happening in Africa and South America. Your mobile phone effectively becomes your wallet. You can make cash transfers or payments to anyone with a mobile and immediately see how much you have.

I'm sure there will be displays on debit cards before long too.

R

So what happens if you don't want a mobile phone - or a debit card even? I never switch my mobile phone on. It is a Nokia 5110 so no camera, wap, bluetooth, internet. Thank God.
  • edited 14 April 2010 at 1:22PM
    lordashlordash Forumite
    62 Posts
    edited 14 April 2010 at 1:22PM
    I hope this never happens, I work in shop where the queues get really massive, and you always get a few people who insist on paying for everything with a card no matter the amount (I have had them for amounts under £1 before). Not only does it take a lot longer than cash, it costs us comparatively a lot of money to process the card. The same thing usually happens on my lunch break as well, I normally end up being stuck behind some idiot who is using a card to buy a £2 sandwich.

One of the main things stopping the uptake on contactless payments (other than Barclays being the only bank who issues the cards in any great quantity) is the huge cost involved. I believe merchants have to pay around 20-40p per transaction, and for amounts under £10 it really isn't worth it unless your margins are high enough to cover it (which explains why the only place you see them is in coffee shops). If they put the transaction fee at a more reasonable level, then I'm sure more people would take them up, but at the moment its just another way for the banks to take more money.
    DEBT OUTSTANDING [14.01.12]: £6,900 / £21,725 (REPAID 68%)
  • MINI_2MINI_2 Forumite
    134 Posts
    @ lordash,

Why is that person an idiot for paying for a sandwich with a debit card?
  • lordashlordash Forumite
    62 Posts
    MINI wrote: »
    @ lordash,

Why is that person an idiot for paying for a sandwich with a debit card?

I prefer not to spend my lunch break in a queue. And I don't really want to have to wait behind somebody who takes longer than necessary because they are paying by card for a tiny amount. Its a trend that has started recently, more and more people are using cards for small transactions and the queues are moving slower as a result. Is it so difficult to have some cash ready when you go into a shop?
    DEBT OUTSTANDING [14.01.12]: £6,900 / £21,725 (REPAID 68%)
  • heloidheloid Forumite
    472 Posts
    Guys, Debit cards will NOT replace cards, other technology will which is just as fast (contactless cards, mobiles etc).

Cash has no place in todays world, it's only a matter of time.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides