New connection with BT - can I use Primus straight away?

Options
Getting a new BT connection into a new property.
I noticed on BT's website that there is a 12 month contract with them after getting new line in.
However, are there any restrictions regarding the use of alternative carriers such as Primus? For example, do I have to use BT for calls for the first 12 months, or can I get connected and then use Primus staright away for calls?
Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• jodie
    jodie Posts: 364 Forumite
    Options
    This is no help to you at all, lol, but when I rang BT and asked about a phone line they told me there has never been a BT line in my property so I would have to pay £120, I told them to stick it.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    eddie, you will be on contract to BT for your line rental for 12 months.

You can, however, start using a CPS or prefix-dial provider for your calls immediately.

'Go live' with a CPS provider takes up to 3 weeks but, of course, you'll need also to sign up with www.call1899.co.uk for your weekday daytime UK 01/02 calls and, as you can do that instantly online, it'll be worthwhile using 1899 for your evening and weekend calls too until free calls on Primus is available.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • hurrah
    hurrah Posts: 1,373 Forumite
    Options
    jodie wrote:
    This is no help to you at all, lol, but when I rang BT and asked about a phone line they told me there has never been a BT line in my property so I would have to pay £120, I told them to stick it.

So you wont something for nothing.:D

See:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=211879&page=7
  • eddie_2-2
    eddie_2-2 Posts: 54 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the info Heinz.:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing