Bt Wiring - Help

Options
Please help. Just moved into a new house. Have been reconnected to BT. The bt box is not attached to the wires (i need to wire it all up, BT will do it, but it cost alot). Please help me with what order the wires go in.

I know not everyones wires are the same colours, I'm looking for
white, orange, green and black.

Please help me get them in the right order and connected to the real world again.
Thank you.

Comments

• bbb_uk
    bbb_uk Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Options
    Providing the house has had BT line before then generally BT will reconnect for free.

If not, only 2 wires are used from the incoming BT line (ie only two wires are connected) to the first main/master* BT socket but from here any extensions generally have 3 wires connected.

See this link for more info on how BT sockets are wired. Note that the coloured cables mentioned in the above link may not be what is used in your setup because sometimes they can change.

* The main/master BT socket is generally the bigger type box compared to the boxes used as extensions. See DonnyDave's post here on what the main/master BT socket generally looks like.
  • DonnyDave
    DonnyDave Posts: 1,579 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know what sort of cable is being used, as bbb_uk's link shows that the colours aren't the same as what you have. However, if you are referring to wiring that goes to extensions within your property, and you are looking at reconnecting these to the master socket, then I would suggest that you see which terminal each wire is connected to within each extension socket. Then connect them to the same terminals in the master.
  • BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    Options
    The link provided by bbb_uk has the following info that corresponds with the OP.

The BT Drop Cable (The cable coming from the outside world)

This often has Orange, White, Green and Black wires. Usually (but not always) Orange and White are the active pair and go to connections 2 and 5. In some master boxes (such as the type with a removable front section) they go to two connectors marked A and B.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure