Is this the cheapest phone set up for me?

Options
I've followed the MSE advice, so currently I rent the line from BT for £11 per month. All calls are via Primus Freetalk Plus Option 2 for £2.50 per month with the £5 cashback offer. I need to buy an actual phone and will probably just buy a £6 corded phone from Argos.
I've got broadbeenband, so I've just been looking at VOIP options, but I don't think it'll offer me much.

I'm only an occasional phone user, I don't forsee more than 20 minutes use per week, all evening and weekend use.

I've been looking at caller ID options, but that will cost £6 per quarter from BT, something that I can live without.
Happy chappy

Comments

• mobilegossip
    mobilegossip Posts: 1,163 Forumite
    Options
    You would qualify for FREE caller display as long as you put a couple of calls a month via BT.So a couple of 5.5p Evening and Weekend calls via the 1280 ovverride would do the trick.The rest of your arrangements seem fine for your purposes.

"Revised BT Privacy Terms and conditions
    BT Privacy helps stop unwanted sales calls by registering you with the Telephone Preference Service and giving you BT Caller Display at no extra charge.
    From 1st October 2006, customers who do not make some chargeable calls with BT will be charged for BT Caller Display.
    Customers with other call providers can still benefit from BT Caller Display at no extra cost if the following calls are made. Customers who bill monthly must make at least two chargeable calls with BT in that month, otherwise BT reserves the right to charge £1.75 a month for BT Caller Display. Customers who bill every three months must make at least six chargeable calls within those three months, otherwise BT reserves the right to charge £5.25 a quarter.
    If you do not currently make calls with BT and would like to start making your calls with us again, please call 0800 121 8088. Alternatively, if you would like to make one-off calls that are chargeable to your BT bill then simply dial the numbers 1280 before you dial the phone number you wish to call.
    Caller Display requires a compatible phone, (available at BT Shop online), a BT line and caller display equipment. Numbers will not be displayed if the call is from payphones, some switchboards, non-BT networks or where a caller's number is withheld."

https://www.bt.com/btprivacy (0800 916 5544) Just call the Freephone Number and their set it up.
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Excellent info, thanks.
    Happy chappy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income