🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

pesky cold calling

Options
hi i'm x directory and keep getting calls from mobile companies and the like the last call i had i asked how they had got my number and he saaid it was a random number generator i replied that was b****x and that my number couldn't be on a random number watsit because i'd expressed a wish not to be put in a fone book, he replied whatever and foned the next day whilst i was at work and told hubby i'd given him permission to ring our number. What can i do to stop these companies getting through if anything? of course the call back number was with-held which shouldn't have got through anyway as i have call barring too.
any help appreciated

poppie

Comments

• gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    hi i'm x directory and keep getting calls from mobile companies and the like the last call i had i asked how they had got my number and he saaid it was a random number generator i replied that was b****x and that my number couldn't be on a random number watsit because i'd expressed a wish not to be put in a fone book, he replied whatever and foned the next day whilst i was at work and told hubby i'd given him permission to ring our number. What can i do to stop these companies getting through if anything? of course the call back number was with-held which shouldn't have got through anyway as i have call barring too.
    any help appreciated

Being ex-directory doesn't stop companies from cold calling you.

You need to register with the Telephone Preference Service - you should then see these calls virtually stop 28 days after registering.

If you are then called, you can report them.

Regards
    Sunil
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Unfortunately, TPS won't stop such calls which originate from overseas (as many do these days).

Use Caller Display to identify which calls you want to answer (and, more importantly, those you don't).
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    Options
    Hi I'm x directory and keep getting calls from mobile companies and the like the last call I had I asked how they had got my number and he said it was a random number generator I replied that was b****x and that my number couldn't be on a random number watsit because I'd expressed a wish not to be put in a phone book, he replied whatever and phoned the next day whilst I was at work and told hubby I'd given him permission to ring our number. What can I do to stop these companies getting through if anything? of course the call back number was with-held which shouldn't have got through anyway as I have call barring too.
    any help appreciated

poppie

The problem is you may be ex-DQ and ex-phone book, but that doesn't prevent people just dialling your number, for example if I was to randomly phone numbers in your area or start at the first number and sequentially dial, I will soon get to ring your number, being ex-dq and ex-phone-book hasn't prevented me from dialling.

As has been said, you could register for the TPS, but again if they call from outside the UK, the TPS doesn't cover.

Just a case of getting caller display service and screen your calls.

If you have ACR and the call still got through it might have been due to it not being an withheld call, but a call where the number isn't transmitted at all.

If you have a BT line, caller display is free via https://www.bt.com/btprivacy (0800 916 5544).

If you don't have a phone with caller display, you can get caller display units for around £1
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    replied that was b****x and that my number couldn't be on a random number watsit because i'd expressed a wish not to be put in a fone book,
    Random numbers wouldn't be on any list though. However, they were probably talking ballcocks.

I want to find out more about caller ID.
    Happy chappy
  • seaniboy
    seaniboy Posts: 1,435 Forumite
    Options
    the call centres do have random generators, thats why the TPS does not protect us or international calls, they do not abide by the code of conduct - they dont have too
    If I helped or saved you money - Thank me
    If I helped you spend some money - spank me
    If I done both - :lipsrseal me:eek:
    :D
    ;)
  • smudger1964
    smudger1964 Posts: 682 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Agree with the other replies being registred with tps or being exdirectory doesnt stop them all.I am being plagued by "the 3 network" at the moment.I have told them i am registered with TPS it still doesnt stop em.So now I just say will you hang on please put the phone down on the table and just ignore them then replace handset after 5 minutes it doesnt stop it just makes me feel better
  • jiblets1
    jiblets1 Posts: 1,211 Forumite
    Options
    For all that the other posters still suffer after registering with the TPS, I would say it's definately worth a try.
    I registered both my parents and myself and although the calls haven't stopped completely, they have drastically reduced. That means that the other calls don't stress me out as much has they used to.
    Am not witty enough to put something cool and informative here:o :o
  • BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    Options
    Blow a loud whistle down the phone and deafen the sods, make sure they can't call anyone again, not likely they would get you done for assault, but is a possibility.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This is what I do. When they ask for me by name I say "Who's calling please?" just to make sure I havn't won a competition. But if they say "Something or other mobile company" or "communications company" I say "Hold on one minute". Then I put the phone on the table still connected and leave it there and just carry on with whatever I was doing. If you keep doing that they will soon get fed up as it's costing them loads every time they ring up. Once I was listening to music so I put the phone right by the speaker and cranked the volume up.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • regularsaver1
    regularsaver1 Posts: 4,930 Forumite
    Options
    i'm suprised they managed to get through with the call barring
    i work in mortgages for a bank - when i try to call some of my clients (not cold calling) from the phone - a lot of messages come back that they will not accept anonymous calls, so end up using my personal mobile lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport