Engagement ring on wedding day?

Options
Hi everyone, I'd like to tap into your collective wisdom :) I've been wondering what's the right thing to do regards wearing an engagement ring on the day of your wedding?

I mean, is there a 'right thing'? Do you wear it on the correct finger and have the wedding ring placed above it? Or wear it on the right hand and then move it to the left afterwards? Or do you not wear it on the day?

Just interested to hear your thoughts :)

Thanks,
Sazzy xxx
4 May 2010 <3

Comments

• Alyssa_C_2
    Alyssa_C_2 Posts: 322 Forumite
    Options
    So I'm told it goes on after the wedding ring. However I think I'm going to have my band on AFTER the engagement ring. No one follows full wedding ettiquette anymore. Do what you wanna do, I will :D
  • anderson8
    anderson8 Posts: 1,223 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    my engagement ring is my something blue(sapphire).
    im going to wear it on the correct finger and have my H2B put my wedding ring on top
  • Sazbo
    Sazbo Posts: 4,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Alyssa_C wrote: »
    So I'm told it goes on after the wedding ring. However I think I'm going to have my band on AFTER the engagement ring. No one follows full wedding ettiquette anymore. Do what you wanna do, I will :D

Thanks Alyssa. I'm probably the last person to be a follower of etiquette in general lol :D Was just curious more than anything. Hmm... at the mo' I'm thinking I'd like the engagement ring over the band, so I might put it on my right hand and then move it over, or else take it with me and put it on afterwards :)

S
    4 May 2010 <3
  • Alyssa_C_2
    Alyssa_C_2 Posts: 322 Forumite
    Options
    I think that will be great sazbo, anderson is doing the same as me, I think between us we've just proved it, you do what you want :D
  • Sazbo
    Options
    anderson8 wrote: »
    my engagement ring is my something blue(sapphire).
    im going to wear it on the correct finger and have my H2B put my wedding ring on top

Actually I didn't think of that, mine has a pale, blue-ish tanzanite, but I'd already earmarked something else for the blue category :D

S
    4 May 2010 <3
  • Cat72
    Cat72 Posts: 2,398 Forumite
    Options
    As everyone says anything goes nowadays , which is brill.
    My wedding band is designed to fit inside part of my engagement ring. So I will wear it on another finger and after the cermony put it on my wedding finger before my wedding band.

Im so excited about wearing my wedding ring as its really lovely- just a bummer I have to wait till the day ;) !
  • Sazbo
    Options
    Cat72 wrote: »
    Im so excited about wearing my wedding ring as its really lovely- just a bummer I have to wait till the day ;) !

Me too!! :j My wedding ring is really gorgeous and so comfortable as well, I really can't wait to be wearing it - for so many reasons!

Is really interesting hearing what everyone else is doing with their rings on the day. :)

Saz x
    4 May 2010 <3
  • stef240377
    stef240377 Posts: 2,798 Forumite
    Options
    On my wedding day i wore my engagement ring on my other hand until after ceremony and then placed it above my wedding ring soon after.
    :j Was married 2nd october 2009 to the most wonderful man possible:j

DD 1994, DS 1996 AND DS 1997

Lost 3st 5lb with Slimming world so far!!
  • picklepick
    picklepick Posts: 4,048 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Traditionally you wear it on your right hand and then switch it over after the ceremony. That's what im doing. Im also going to wear my wedding ring first then my engagement ring on top. This is because i think ill take my engagement ring on and off but once my wedding ring is on, its not coming off for anyone!!
    What matters most is how well you walk through the fire
  • Dunners
    Dunners Posts: 1,033 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Just to confirm what pickle says - we ordered our rings at the jewellers yesterday and were told that on the day you wear your engagement ring on the other hand and can move over once wedding ring is on and then from then on your wedding is always worn as the first ring, and then your engagement ring! HTH x
    Some people create their own storms....then get upset when it rains!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure