We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

wedding gift vouchers

Options
we were given gift vouchers for our wedding and we intended to use them to buy a washing machine. however, when I went onto marks & spencers and debenhams sites both said you couldn't use vouchers for this type of purchase - does anyone know if this is legal?? thanks c:(

Comments

• shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wonder if you could and order a washing machine in store and use the vouchers as payment?

The reason why you can't use vouchers online, is because you're not actually handing them over during the transaction, if that makes sense?

Same way as you can't pay with cash when ordering online.
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • goodison16
    Options
    thanks for that I did try that but I rang them and they said because white goods are through a third party even going into the shop doesn't allow you to use the gift vouchers! wrong if you ask me they should be able to claim the money back from m&s or debenhams wouldn't you have thought? they said I could have a telly though!! :eek:
  • shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    goodison16 wrote: »
    thanks for that I did try that but I rang them and they said because white goods are through a third party even going into the shop doesn't allow you to use the gift vouchers! wrong if you ask me they should be able to claim the money back from m&s or debenhams wouldn't you have thought? they said I could have a telly though!! :eek:

So you can't even order a washing machine in store with vouchers?

I can't see the difference if it's a 3rd party selling them through M&S (for example) ~ M&S aren't going to personally hand over the cash you give to them or your card details to the 3rd party, so you should be able to pay with vouchers and then M&S will pay the 3rd party.

Madness!

Are you gonna get a telly now then? :D
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • goodison16
    Options
    telly won't get my smalls washed!!! thank god for parents! they are always good for doing a bit of washing for you!

congrats by the way for your up coming nuptuals! (just a tip for you don't ask your guests for vouchers from m&s or debenhams you will be left with them for ever!!!)
  • Mme.Hibou
    Mme.Hibou Posts: 1,667 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can you not walk into Marks and Spencer/Debenhams and order it in store? People must do that when they don't have access to the internet (and I've heard there are still a few who don't) That way they should accept the vouchers as part payment. I worked at Argos many moons ago and this is how it would have worked there.
    ,___,
    (oVo)
    /)vvv)
    /m m
  • Mme.Hibou
    Mme.Hibou Posts: 1,667 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh my days!

So I just called them up telling them that I was buying a £900 washing machine (layed it all on very thick - just got married and small baby - which are true) and we'd received the value in vouchers, said there was no way it could be done as they were a sister company.

I asked if M&S could refund all the vouchers and he said he wasn't sure but to call this number 08457624624 and they might be able to help further.
    ,___,
    (oVo)
    /)vvv)
    /m m
  • goodison16
    Options
    no have asked that question and they still won't do it!!! has annoyed me because it is for items like this that anyone would use wedding gift vouchers for!!

thanks for your input though maybe I should get martin on the case??
  • goodison16
    Options
    thanks lydia82 will give it a go - don't hold your breath!!!
  • Abbafan1972
    Abbafan1972 Posts: 6,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That really is disgusting and it seems that M&S are still in the dark ages, as they were one of the last companies to adopt debit cards as a form of payment.
    Striving to clear the mortgage before it finishes in Dec 2028 - amount currently owed - £40,750.02
  • goodison16
    Options
    I tried the number you gave me and they said they wouldn't exchange them for cash! looks my mum's going to carry on doing the washing for a while!

thanks for your replies though much appreciated
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport