How To Close An MBNA Account

Options
I recently cleared my MBNA account and wanted to close my account.
The rep I spoke to wanted to talk about everything other than closing my account, I became so frustrated I had to hang up before I said something I would later regret.

I would like to do my homework and prepare for my next encounter, so, any advice on dealing with these hard sell characters would be appreciated.
I have a bottle of Diazepam standing by!
Thanks in anticipation.

Comments

• Ditch_Crawler
    Options
    Write them a letter, and enclose your card cut into many pieces
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Options
    Don't forget to cancel any continuous charge authorities you may have given or any PPI you took out. The account may "come back to life" if there is anything like this hanging over it.
  • nomoneytoday
    nomoneytoday Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Call them again, say no thank you to the offers (unless you wish to partake)
  • Toomuchdebt
    Toomuchdebt Posts: 2,128 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Call again and just keep repeating "I would like to close my account please" like a robot until they listen.
    Debts Jan 2014 £20,108.34 :eek:

EF #70 £0/£1000

SW 1st 4lbs
  • HouseHuntr
    HouseHuntr Posts: 522 Forumite
    Options
    AlCapone wrote: »
    I recently cleared my MBNA account and wanted to close my account.
    The rep I spoke to wanted to talk about everything other than closing my account, I became so frustrated I had to hang up before I said something I would later regret.

I would like to do my homework and prepare for my next encounter, so, any advice on dealing with these hard sell characters would be appreciated.
    I have a bottle of Diazepam standing by!
    Thanks in anticipation.

Don't be so weak and daft, just tell them and insist you want to cancel. End of !
    What are you, man or mouse ?
  • placido
    placido Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    Mr Capone. You should know that leaving MBNA is like leaving the "mob" It is simply not allowed. :D

Write to them telling them the account is now closed and you will not be responsible for any mis-use of the account.

Worked for me.
  • JA1000
    JA1000 Posts: 620 Forumite
    Options
    Why do you need to close it, I have a few cards which lapsed which I had wished I kept it going.

MBNA will close your account if you don't use it.
  • CannyJock
    CannyJock Posts: 3,838 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Before going ahead and closing it - you know that you can transfer your limit to a new MBNA backed card?
    "A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five." - Groucho Marx
  • Daveb
    Daveb Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    I phoned and basically had to say what toomuchdebt said and kept repeating that I wanted to close the account. And i still wanted to close the account. And even still I wanted to close the account.

In the end they closed it but transferred the credit limit to another MBNA card i have. :mad:

I dont see why they cant listen to their customers and do what they want?
  • Rupert_Bear
    Rupert_Bear Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    Options
    Daveb wrote: »
    I phoned and basically had to say what toomuchdebt said and kept repeating that I wanted to close the account. And i still wanted to close the account. And even still I wanted to close the account.

In the end they closed it but transferred the credit limit to another MBNA card i have. :mad:

I dont see why they cant listen to their customers and do what they want?

Dont be such a jelly fish. Wheres your back bone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure