Asda Leg of Lamb

Options
13»

Comments

• Lifeisbutadream
    Lifeisbutadream Posts: 13,102 Forumite
    Options
    spike7451 wrote: »
    Not meaning to sound like a food snob but I never buy any meat from Supermarkets apart from meat for sarnies.
    I prefer to buy mine from my butchers in my town.Much better service,I can see the meat before I buy it as opposed to it being wrapped in polystrene & film,which make the meat sweat.
    It's also more traceable with less food miles,properly hung if required & for Christmas,I get my duck & pheasant from there too.
    I also find it cheaper buying from my butcher too,

Just a tip, I wouldnt buy meat for sarnies from the supermarket either where possible - I used to work in a ham packing factory and I will never eat processed ham again!

Buy it off the bone from a deli or butcher if he does it...
  • Lifeisbutadream
    Lifeisbutadream Posts: 13,102 Forumite
    Options
    goater78 wrote: »
    I've therefore gone to supermarkets as they tend to have better standards of hygiene and cleanliness!

are you sure??? :)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Whanna bet! The way a large supermarket I worked for last year keeps it's frozen & chilled produce leaves a lot to be desired!

You're probably right but i just think there is something more trustworthy about a supermarket. I have a butcher i trust in North Wales and use them for things like Xmas Turkey etc but living in Bolton where i don't really trust my local butchers means I take the safe option and visit the Morrisons/Sainsburies/Tesco's. I tend to buy my meat from the counter so to avoid the plastic wrapped meat!
  • Helen_J_3
    Helen_J_3 Posts: 205 Forumite
    Options
    I've had cheese from Asda that has gone mouldy well in the sealed pack well before the best-before date.

I know this doesn't help the OP, just wanted to say it!

:p I got some cheese from Co Op which turned out to be moudly when I opened it! Rang the helpline and got some vouchers lol I really will get anything for nothing, or as we say in Yorkshire "owt for nowt".
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill
  • I_know_my_ABC_and_my_CMYK
    Options
    I can't afford to buy meat from our local butcher. We only have the one. It would cost me between £10 and £15 a week more than buying in a supermarket and we don't actually buy that much.
    Wow, I got 3 *, when did that happen :j:T:p
    It is not illegal to open another persons mail unless you intend to commit fraud - this is frequently incorrectly posted:)
    I live in my head - I find it's safer there:p
  • nomoneytoday
    nomoneytoday Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can't afford to buy meat from our local butcher. We only have the one. It would cost me between £10 and £15 a week more than buying in a supermarket and we don't actually buy that much.

With some of the additives in processed meat, can you afford not to?
    I don't like the idea of a meat processor adding water, then emulsifiers to make it stick before freezing for example.

Also a good butcher can recommend cheaper tastier cuts, and more efficient ways to use the bird / animal :)
  • Emmylou_2
    Emmylou_2 Posts: 1,049 Forumite
    Options
    I often find that "non-sheep" lamb* often tastes of something I can only identify as "wet dog". Was it something like this?

*non-sheep lamb = lamb that isn't organic/free range/from my friend's farm! I'm a lamb snob.
    We may not have it all together, but together we have it all :beer:
    B&SC Member No 324

Living with ME, fibromyalgia and (newly diagnosed but been there a long time) EDS Type 3 (Hypermobility). Woo hoo :rotfl:
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    i have posted over on another board,but i have had a definately gone off leg of lamb from asda this weekend and my lunch for 12 was nearly ruined.

my hubby was trying to find chickens at 4.30 on a sunday afternoon

asda are useless and don't seem to want to even be bothered with you

i want to know why!
    and no its not just because its been vac packed.
  • nomoneytoday
    nomoneytoday Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    asda are useless and don't seem to want to even be bothered with you. i want to know why!

IMHO it's probably because they sell stuff based on cheap price.
    Lowest cheap price doesn't leave a lot of margin for Waitrose or M&S style customer service...
  • solodanceparty
    Options
    Not meaning to sound like a food snob but I never buy any meat from Supermarkets apart from meat for sarnies.
    I prefer to buy mine from my butchers in my town.Much better service,I can see the meat before I buy it as opposed to it being wrapped in polystrene & film,which make the meat sweat.
    It's also more traceable with less food miles,properly hung if required & for Christmas,I get my duck & pheasant from there too.
    I also find it cheaper buying from my butcher too,

I buy meat the butcher or M&S. Every once in a blue moon when I can't get to either I suck it up and get it from Tesco. Blerch.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure