My first diary

Options
cococoladebt
cococoladebt Posts: 221 Forumite
edited 18 June 2011 at 10:48PM in Debt free diaries
I have been a follower of money saving expert for a while but thought I'd start my diary to keep me sane.

Having graduated in 2007 - I have just turned 24 - with personal debts of £6k and a student loan of 10k with a 2:2 degree, I thought my life was just beginning and I could pay back all my debts but its never been the same as I've never had a job which has paid - not my fault, most graduates are having a tough time or I am just unlucky in life....

I have been working at my current job for 16 months and I am yet to be paid a salary, only my expenses are covered. But I think this will change shortly. If it doesn't change by June it will be 3 years since graduation and I haven't earned any money and I think this will make me go into servere depression. How I have survived so far is anyone's guess.

My debts today stand at:

Personal debts: £10,836.93
Student Loan: £8,900.00
Credit Card Debts: £11,605.95/£16,240.53 - 71% paid off.

£4,634.61 credit card debt remaining. Aim for credit card debt free before
[STRIKE]October 2011[/STRIKE] December 2012. In debt since 2004.

Comments

• cococoladebt
    edited 5 April 2010 at 6:49PM
    Options
    Credit Cards

Marks & Spencers - 3,581.69 = 0% expires in August 2010
    Halifax - 1,997.54 = 15.94%
    Virgin - 2,786.77 = 0% expires April 2011
    Egg - 1,510.93 = 0% expires in August 2010

Overdrafts

RBS - 960.00 = 0% expires in June 2010

• Aileen_Una
    Aileen_Una Posts: 102 Forumite
    Options
    With regards to your decision not "to go down the benefits route"...

JSA (only one of a few options I know) isn't available anyway to those who have been in education or training in the last 4 years.

Good luck with getting the salary
  • macgirl
    macgirl Posts: 5,091 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello there and welcome to diaryland :hello:

It sounds like you have been through the mill, but you've come through the other side :)

It does seem like you need to find paid work, but the work experience will undoubtedly have set you apart from other graduates, so can only be a good thing - in the short term. Are you actively looking for another job? after 16 months, I'd question if you're not being seriously taken advantage of....

Can you find another card to transfer your Halifax debt to?

At least the student loans are very low interest (or are they interest free at the moment?), so I guess you won't begin repaying until you find paid work?

Best of luck with it and keep posting :)
  • blue-bells_2
    blue-bells_2 Posts: 167 Forumite
    Options
    Hi cococoladebt

Well done for posting. It sounds like you've had a tough time but, like macgirl said, you've come through the other side.

Set yourself little goals in a plan of action and stick to them... post on here to keep yourself motivated and focused on what you're trying to achieve. Keep positive because things will get better. Good luck on the job front- I hope something comes through for you.

Take care :)
  • cococoladebt
    Options
    macgirl wrote: »
    Hello there and welcome to diaryland :hello:

It sounds like you have been through the mill, but you've come through the other side :)

It does seem like you need to find paid work, but the work experience will undoubtedly have set you apart from other graduates, so can only be a good thing - in the short term. Are you actively looking for another job? after 16 months, I'd question if you're not being seriously taken advantage of....

Can you find another card to transfer your Halifax debt to?

At least the student loans are very low interest (or are they interest free at the moment?), so I guess you won't begin repaying until you find paid work?

Best of luck with it and keep posting :)

Hi. Thanks for replying.

I think I am being taken advantage of but I don't have much choice at the moment. I think I'm quite close to getting a salary - i've taken a big risk by not looking for other work but I honestly think it will pay off.

Student loan is 0% but my parents are paying about £250 off every month. I find it strange that I'm not on speaking terms with my father yet I'm living in his house and hes paying down my student loan. :eek:

I don't have any other credit card I can transfer the halifax balance to. I will just need to pay the interest.

• cococoladebt
    Options
    Thanks Aileen

blue-bells wrote: »
    Hi cococoladebt

Well done for posting. It sounds like you've had a tough time but, like macgirl said, you've come through the other side.

Set yourself little goals in a plan of action and stick to them... post on here to keep yourself motivated and focused on what you're trying to achieve. Keep positive because things will get better. Good luck on the job front- I hope something comes through for you.

Take care :)

It's been tough, but I'm definitely sure there are people out there who've had it tougher than me.

Thanks for your comments.

• cococoladebt
    edited 11 April 2010 at 12:23AM
    Options
    Another week has gone by and there is no change in salary or debt.

I wake up at 5.45am on Monday morning with a lot of hope, by Friday 5.30pm I'm still in the office whilst most people have left - I am exhausted, knowing I have nothing to show for. I wonder what next week will bring ....

But I still have hope. :D

• cococoladebt
    Options
    Well another week starts tomorrow. I am quite keen to get in and prove that I am worthy of a salary.

In the mean time I had to fork out for a new iron.

Will aim to not spend more than £25 for food this week at work.

• blue-bells_2
    Options
    Good luck for this week :)

With regards to spending £25 for food, do you take packed lunches to work or do you buy food when you're there?
  • cococoladebt
    Options
    Thanks very much.

I buy food when I'm there, I know it's wrong and I do need to start taking lunch from home.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure