New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

£3000 Challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
30 replies 13.2K views
spamalotspamalot Forumite
117 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
Myself and my partner have agreed a fun and lets face it competitive way of reducing our debt.

We're taking £3000 of our personal debts each and having a competition to see who can clear it first using the most innovative methods. This should bring out the competitive streak in both of us and the prize is that whoever wins will have cleared £3000 of their debt! Even the loser wins by getting as close as possible to it.

He's already listing the ways in which he is going to save money so that he can beat me!!! If he wins I'll never hear the end of it!

Bring it on!!!

threadbanner.gif

Replies

• Good idea and good luck!
  • James240James240 Forumite
    16.3K posts
    yep good luck :beer:
    Matched Betting Winnings: £?????.?? :):DOfficially Debt Free!!! :j :j :j Official DFW Nerd 007:D Ah Ha! There you are Ms 240 :love: :kisses3:
  • elantanelantan Forumite
    20.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this sounds like a great idea increasing your money would be the best chance of winning ..all the best
    march 2011-july2019 8 years and 4 months ... or 100 months and counting
    "what would you do if you knew you couldn't fail.... enjoy the adventure" " to my own self be true"
  • FlossFloss Forumite
    5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    do you have any ground rules...e.g. anything goes, or anything as long as it's legal?
  • 8pnoodles8pnoodles Forumite
    295 posts
    Oooo sounds like fun. What are your plans (assuming he doesn't post on here)?

Any ideas you can throw my way would be really appreciated! :)
    Pay off CC debt by Xmas 2017 #095 £0 of £11,416 :eek:
  • spamalotspamalot Forumite
    117 posts
    I've started loading things onto ebay in the hope that it will give my chances of winning a good start, although I think he has cottoned onto that one! He's now talking about what he can sell....mmmm

well i still have my secret weapon.....this site!!!!

The ground rules are:

It has to be legal and no moving home to live with mum!:rotfl: :rotfl:
  • saubrynsaubryn Forumite
    610 posts
    Great idea :)

If you weren't working on this little competition, how long would it take to clear the 3000? How quickly do you want to clear it? I'm just curious how much you have left over - is stuff like matched betting an option?
    DFW Nerd No. 140 :)
    Status as of 30/11/12
    [strike]Rent 2500 Council Tax 800 NlPower - 800[/strike][SIZE=-2]:j IF - 8000 :(British Gas - [strike]112[/strike] - 102 Lloyds - 1123
    Barclays - 306 Barclaycard 1,123 HSBC - 200 Capital 1- 400 Barclayloan - 4500[/SIZE]
  • SnagglesSnaggles Forumite
    19.5K posts
    Hi Spamalot, this sounds like a great idea - going to suggest it to hubby as soon as he wakes up tomorrow! Oooh, I feel a challenge coming on!!! :)
    "I wasn't wrong, I just wasn't right enough."
    :smileyhea
  • This sounds a like a fab idea! I wish you the best of British! Really ought to try this myself. My partner and I bought a house in May 06 and I'm in charge of the money as he works away and I'm TERRIBLE with money. If it's there - I spend it! Hope it goes well for you!! Keep us posted.
    Getting older is inevitable, growing up is optional :rotfl:
  • PigginSkintPigginSkint Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    What a great idea! Good luck with it!
    PigginSkint's debt free diary
    DFW Nerd 1049 Amazon Sellers Club member 54
    Total mortgage debt: 30/4/17 £14090.77 (Last payment: September 2021)
    LTSB Loan 30/4/17 £6633.71 (reduction by 48%)
    Total credit cards: 30/4/17 £25971.91 :eek:
    Total non-mortgage debt: 30/4/17 £32876.49 :eek: