Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Door collections: check it is a charity

Options
edda
edda Posts: 1,057 Forumite
First Post
Please check that when you donate to collections at home that it is going to a genuine charity

Businesses are getting more clever in disguising their attempts to get free items, which they can then sell. You have to read their leaflets v. carefully - although it's all legal.

We had a leaflet this week that asked for clothes etc - it included a registered number which is the company registration number (not a charity). There was a few lines saying how recycling helps people in the 3rd world - e.g. by sorting and receiving clothes - and helps preserve jobs in this country (distributors and collectors of the items). :naughty:

However, this particular business was only set up in March this year and if you give anything to them, it could be depriving a charity of your generosity.

Fair enough if you just want to offload the stuff, but I always prefer to give to charities rather than line someone's pockets.

Comments

• Sting_2
    Sting_2 Posts: 149 Forumite
    Options
    How do you know the difference between a company number and a charity number?

I am guessing that if it is a charity it will clearly state REGISTERED CHARITY NUMBER, but what if it doesn't? how can I tell?
  • C_Ronaldo
    C_Ronaldo Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    is there nowhere on the net where you can check if the charity is genuine
    No Links in Signature by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • lamb7994
    lamb7994 Posts: 535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    C_Ronaldo wrote:
    is there nowhere on the net where you can check if the charity is genuine

You can check if a charity is genuine on the charity commissions website using the following link and click the link "About registered charities"
    you cansearch by the charity number e.g 272786 (help the aged) or the name.

http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk

The charity commission regulates all charities.

There are alot of clothing collection about at the moment which are actually companies but try to make you feel guilty.

James

James Lamb
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the original post.

There is a LOT of this going on, but it is obvious enough if you read the small print. A proper charity collection will include the name of the charity and its charity registration number. A "pretend" charity collection will include (normally) the name of the company (or its trading name) and (probably) its COMPANY registration number, trying to convince you it's a charity registration number.

As James posted, check the registration number online or just give to a charity you recognise - most of the larger charities do this sort of collection (e.g. Help the Aged) and few smaller ones you've never heard of!
  • Bertville
    Bertville Posts: 193 Forumite
    Options
    Glad you posted this as it is getting more & more common. I tend to find that a genuine charity will often leave a bag for you to fill whereas the businesses just leave a leaflet. We get them almost every week now.

On a related point, a while ago, our local childrens hospice left a bag and a couple of hours later we received a leaflet from one of these disguised businesses who were going to collect on the same day as the hospice. I telephoned the hospice to alert them so that they could try to do their collection early and not have their bags "stolen" by the cheats.
  • sarahlouise210
    Options
    So how many of us would check if we got a bag through the door printed with " Greenacres Childrens hospice" "reg charity 48723190" ... it is pretty simple to order bags and have them printed - probably a small price to pay for those who will then sell the items on Ebay. We have not had any letters round here ... shocking what people will do. Best to take our stuff to the charity shop from now on (however most of it came from there in the first place!!!)
    I have had brain surgery - sorry if I am a little confused sometimes ;)
  • hurrah
    hurrah Posts: 1,373 Forumite
    Options
    Its a major problem.

"It is estimated by the Association of Charity Shops that the potential value of donated clothing and other items ‘lost’ to legitimate charities as a result of these bogus collections amounts to over £1m per annum. Many genuine charities rely on such doorstep collections for a substantial proportion of their shop sales."

Advice about the subject can be found here.
    http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/goods-service/scams/fs_b01.shtml
  • klondyke
    klondyke Posts: 463 Forumite
    Options
    hurrah wrote:
    Its a major problem.

"It is estimated by the Association of Charity Shops that the potential value of donated clothing and other items ‘lost’ to legitimate charities as a result of these bogus collections amounts to over £1m per annum. Many genuine charities rely on such doorstep collections for a substantial proportion of their shop sales."

Advice about the subject can be found here.
    http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/goods-service/scams/fs_b01.shtml

Mmm - I did put a load of rubbish which I knew couldn't be sold in a charity shop into one of these anonymous bags, but they didn't collect it!!!
  • lamb7994
    lamb7994 Posts: 535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I know there is action being taken against these companies by 3 major charities to try to stop them but it is under wraps at the moment so can't divulge and any information until it had gone through the courts and
    government.

I'll keep you posted with any information i am passed.

James
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,058 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Would just like to point out that it is possible for a charity to be both a registered charity and a limited company - the numbers will be different. You have the suggestions above for checking its charitable status, please don't be put off if it is a limited company as well, there are practical reasons for this (limits the liability of the Trustees, for one thing, should the charity go belly up!) and it's not automatically a scam if both numbers are there!

However, a charity must ALWAYS show its charity registration number, so if that's not there, it's a bit dodgy!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport