PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Mortgage after split.

Hi, me and my partner have recently split and I have moved back to my parents home. Ex is still in our house. we are not married. Me and my ex have agreed to sell the house and use the equity to pay off our existing debts. We have a joint mortgage and a young child. My question is, if she changes her mind and decides she wants to keep the house will I be forced to pay my half the mortgage until my child is 18? If this is the case I will never be able to move out of my parents place as I cant afford to rent as well as pay a mortgage. She cannot afford keep the house on her own.

Any help and advice much appreciated, I never saw myself being in this situation so i'm totally unprepared and don't know anything about my rights and the legalities.

Many Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Most solicitors will offer a free initial consultation, it is worth you both taking that option before you then negotiate a settlement and go through all the legals. It is very difficult to force a sale of a property, however as you still own half the house you still have the right to live there. If your ex gets unreasonable you could simply move back in until she sees sense! If your ex is claiming any means-tested benefits such as working tax or child tax credits you must inform the benefits agency immediately of your change in circumstances. Also she can claim for a reduction in council tax in your absence. I would make sure your name is removed from ALL bills as while you are named you are liable.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • dats
    dats Posts: 78 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Definitely go and get some free legal advice. I had a good experience with doing that, but I did a lot of online research first, so that I knew exactly what questions to ask.

Most solicitors will give you say a thirty minute free slot.

I tried CAB too, but they knew less than I did, after my research and the tools they used to get the information are all online, anyway.

If your mortgage is jointly held, it may be a good idea to look at severing the joint tenancy so that you are tenants in common. Me and my ex (unmarried, but no kids) also drew up a Declaration of Trust, setting out who was going to get what - it just makes things clear.

Hang in there, it's a slog but you'll work it out.

Claire
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport