Are tax credits paid in advance?

Options
I rang tax credits today and asked to go from 4 weekly to weekly payments. Just wondering if I've shot myself in the foot now.

Last payment was 22nd March. Will my weekly payments start 4 weeks from 22nd March or from now?

Thanks in advance.
LBM 10/08 £12510.74/

Comments

• paybacktime2008
    Options
    More clearly what I'm asking is...When i was paid on 22nd March was that for the 4 weeks up to 22nd March or 4 weeks after 22nd March
    LBM 10/08 £12510.74/
  • thrifty81
    thrifty81 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Hi have a look at this link http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/b_payment_of_tax_credits.pdf

it says they're paid in arrears so you shouldn't have to wait too long? Or at least thats how i've understood it.
  • KrazyKel
    KrazyKel Posts: 492 Forumite
    Options
    Ahh i was wondering about this too!
    As when my DLA ended around 8th Jan, my tax credits stopped too!
    But my last tax credits was paid 15th Dec - i was still expecting one more payment to take me up to the date my DLA ended.
    This might be why they are having problems getting the payments started when my DLA started again (backdated) - had to re apply last week in the end grrr.
    Lets just hope they backdate mine to 15th dec, not 8th jan now
    Make £10 a day Challenge June - £170
  • kaylzbob
    kaylzbob Posts: 82 Forumite
    Options
    I rang tax credits today and asked to go from 4 weekly to weekly payments. Just wondering if I've shot myself in the foot now.

Last payment was 22nd March. Will my weekly payments start 4 weeks from 22nd March or from now?

Thanks in advance.

You would definitely have to wait until after 6th April as your payment 22nd March would be your last one for this financial year. If you call the helpline they can look at your award notice that they will be sending out to you and they can tell you when you should expect to receive a payment and how much it will be. Hope this helps :)
  • MrsBartolozzi
    MrsBartolozzi Posts: 6,358 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've just looked at my CTC letter from after a change in circs in January. My Tcs seem to have been paid 1 week in advance and I think this is right because the same letter says what I will get on (and from) 6th April. This is much lower than before as my 09/10 CTCs include a backpayment and from April I'll just be on the normal amount. Does that make sense?
    You may have to wait 4 weeks til you get the next payment.
    Just out of interest was your last payment higher than usual? If so it will probably be including some weeks in the new tax year as tc go up then.

It's only a game
    ~*~*~ We're only here to dream ~*~*~
  • AnxiousMum
    AnxiousMum Posts: 2,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When it's paid every four weeks, it covers two weeks arrears, and two weeks in advance....
  • izzybusy23
    izzybusy23 Posts: 994 Forumite
    Options

Thanks in advance.

Hi - I went from monthly to weekly recently and I got my weekly payment within 10 days and its been every Monday since; however mine was a new case and I decided monthly was too long, so not sure whether that helped my case or not in the turnaround being quick.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure