Am I responsible for ex's cc payments

Options
Hello This is the first time I have used this forum. Can you advise if I am responsible for all my ex partner's credit card debts. He took out a few secondary cards on my accounts and ran up thousands which I am struggling to pay. The companies are coming after me and want to take my house. I am at end of my tether and phone never stops ringing Can someone please advise if I am responsible.

Comments

• stephane_2
    stephane_2 Posts: 3,076 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to say but yes you are fully responsible for the entire debt as you are the one who signed the credit agreement.
  • Beast
    Beast Posts: 333 Forumite
    Options
    If it's your account and he is the secondary card holder you are responsible
  • stephane_2
    stephane_2 Posts: 3,076 Forumite
    Options
    If you are struggling with the repayments you may want to be in touch with CCCS or debt advise line or even you local CAB. They will deal with your creditors directly and might put you on a debt management plan depending on your circumstances
  • WhiteHorse
    WhiteHorse Posts: 2,492 Forumite
    Options
    Under normal circumstances you are entirely liable.

Unless perhaps he committed some sort of deception in order to obtain the secondary cards ... ?
    "Never underestimate the mindless force of a government bureaucracy
    seeking to expand its power, dominion and budget"
    Jay Stanley, American Civil Liberties Union.
  • MsAnderson
    MsAnderson Posts: 136 Forumite
    Options
    You say "he took out" the secondary cards. I think you have to request the second cards as you are the main card holder. Assuming you did authorise them before you split up, then yes you are responsible. If however, he managed to get second cards without your consent then you would have to argue that you didn't know he had any whilst also saying you didn't notice his spending on your statement. Sounds like an awful situation, but best to speak to the companies and explain the situation rather than not paying and feeling their wrath. Best of luck.
  • peterg59
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I know for a fact he got some without my authority but I did authorise at least 2.
    I think it looks as though I am going to have to continue to struggle to pay.
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Options
    To the extent you are liable to the CC companies (agree with comments above), you may have a claim on your ex. I would go to a CAB or a solicitor (some do a 30 min free consultation) to see if it's worth an action against him to recover some of this spend.
  • WhiteHorse
    Options
    peterg59 wrote:
    I know for a fact he got some without my authority but I did authorise at least 2.
    The unauthorised ones may amount to a fraud on his part, although the question arises of exactly when you found out and what you then did about it.
  • WhiteHorse
    Options
    MsAnderson wrote:
    You say "he took out" the secondary cards. I think you have to request the second cards as you are the main card holder.
    In theory, yes. In reality, not necessarily so.

I was sent a secondary card that neither I nor the primary cardholder had requested. It turned out that a member of bank staff issued the card in order to get commission.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure