Credit Card Rights - Bad Washing Machine Installation

I paid for a washing machine installation by credit card - This was carried out but has started leaking after one week of usage

I have a friend who came to see this and said that the way it was installed was wrong. The company who did the install no longer want to talk with me so I have been left with no choice but to contact the credit card company

After a lot of arguing they are now saying they need an independent report which I need to pay for

Is this actually the case? If I send pictures of the damage is that not sufficent? Should I really be expected to pay to have a report written by a plumber?

Comments

• PNPSUKNET
    PNPSUKNET Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    how much did it cost, if over £100 you can if not the issuer wont get involved
  • Joey122
    Joey122 Posts: 455 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    PNPSUKNET wrote: »
    how much did it cost, if over £100 you can if not the issuer wont get involved

Thanks. Yes it was for over £100. The issuer has now asked for an independent report which I need to pay for. That is what is making me quite upset
  • PNPSUKNET
    cant blame them though, lot of rogue claims. Over £100 seems ott for a washer install though
  • CannyJock
    CannyJock Posts: 3,838 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 31 March 2010 at 9:06PM
    Will they reimburse you for the cost of the report if it finds a fault?
    "A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five." - Groucho Marx
  • Joey122
    CannyJock wrote: »
    Will they reimburse you for the cost of the report if it finds a fault?

No and that is exactly the problem. To get a report will cost 80 pounds and the install cost 120
  • PNPSUKNET
    was the friend qualified?
  • Joey122
    PNPSUKNET wrote: »
    was the friend qualified?

No - He was not qualified - He wont be able to produce a report and I certainly dont want to forge it either
  • gnaril
    gnaril Posts: 278 Forumite
    Credit card company are right.

You need an independant report, the fact that you have pictures and your "friend" says that its not been installed correctly means..... well nothing whatsoever.

Get the report send to bank, get money refunded.

At the end of the day unless they have documented evidence the work carried out has not been to the required standard they aint going to reimburse you. They have no way to chargeback the transaction either within this evidence, This is a requirement under Mastercard, Visa, American Express rules.

Good luck.
  • PNPSUKNET
    how do you know your friend knows
  • Joey122
    gnaril wrote: »
    Credit card company are right.

You need an independant report, the fact that you have pictures and your "friend" says that its not been installed correctly means..... well nothing whatsoever.

Get the report send to bank, get money refunded.

At the end of the day unless they have documented evidence the work carried out has not been to the required standard they aint going to reimburse you. They have no way to chargeback the transaction either within this evidence, This is a requirement under Mastercard, Visa, American Express rules.

Good luck.

Thanks - Is there anywhere where this is actually documented?

I looked on Google and found nothing
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport