Am I entitled to bonus?

Options
My husband and I split up October 2008 and the divorce is going through just waiting for date for decree nisi. My husband has just had a bonus from work. Am I entitled to any?

Comments

• NAR
    NAR Posts: 4,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Has solicitor discussed financial settlement? The bonus could be considered as part of that.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,923 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you split in 2008 I presume you've been living seperately? Why would you want it? i'd just get on with your life and let him get on with his. You don't want it to get any more bitter than it may or may not be.

I was in a similar situation, although my ex came in to money a different way, we'd only been split around 9 months at this time but were livign seperately. I never actually asked if I was entitled to it, I just didn't want it, it was his. I was more happy with my life without him don't mean that to sound harsh, but I was happy).

When's your nisi due?
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • worriedsinglemom
    Options
    We should get the nisi date through in a few weeks. If he'd have been fair and been paying maintenance and bills etc as agreed then I would have let it go but he hasnt and has ended up with debt and mortgage arrears so thats why I feel I want to now take him for every penny I'm entitled to.

I am more happy than I was with him but feel I want to make him pay what I'm entitled to.
  • xmaslolly76
    xmaslolly76 Posts: 3,974 Forumite
    Options
    I am more happy than I was with him but feel I want to make him pay what I'm entitled to.

Sounds like the start of a very long and bitter battle to me you have to ask is it worth it in the long run or will the emotional and financial costs of trying to get hold of this bit of money outway any benefit. Personally i would manage with what i have you will get far more satisfaction being the bigger person and saying Sc**w you i dont need you or your money.

Unless of course he was the £40million euro lottery winner that may be worth the fight ;)
    :jFriends are like fabric you can never have enough:j
  • BitterAndTwisted
    Options
    My mother was in a very similar situation to you when my parents divorced. She spent the rest of her natural life in a straitjacket of embittered resentment. It's a terrible way to live what should be a new life of freedom and positive choices. My advice would be to let it go and to try and make your own life without those negative ties permanently holding you back
  • NAR
    NAR Posts: 4,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We should get the nisi date through in a few weeks.
    Your solicitor should therefore be working on the financial division of assets from the marriage by now then, which will include his bonus and future pension. If not you need to gee him/her up.
  • never_enough
    never_enough Posts: 1,495 Forumite
    Options
    I imagine that its a bonus paid on his work over the last 6 months or year. You're still married, so there's certainly the potential for you to get your hands on a share. Whether you should morally, or if it's worth it only you can really decide.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure