British Gas boiler replacement quote seems high

My Mum ( aged 76) has had a quote for a new boiler from British Gas. Her existing boiler has broken so she wants to get a new one in quickly, but I'm a bit concerned BG are so expensive and seem to want to do loads of extra work. Can someone advise please?

Supply and fit Worcester Bosch 15Ri
Remove existing boiler,
set up scaffolding over a conservatory to resite new boiler from downstairs to upstairs airing cupboard and put flue out of roof,
add a cylinder thermostat to the immersion tank,
add a diverter to the thermostat,
move the heating tank in the loft to give 1m head height,
put a wireless room thermostat in even though every radiator in the house has its own controller
Put an electronic timer on the boiler.

They are offering her 2 years free maintenance contract, but claim the Worcester 5 year guarantee is worthless unless there is a contract continued for 5 years. They also claim if anything goes wrong in the 5 years they will completely replace the boiler free of charge if needs be.

They are including an over 60's discount of £300

total price (after discounts) £4701

Mum is gobsmacked. Surely this can't be right.

Is this a fair price? If not, any idea what is? Do we have to have all these thermostats etc (they claim the regulations insist)? Any idea where to go to get a better but still reliable quote - we are in north east Kent

Thanks for your help

Comments

• ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    if you shop around you can half that price.
    BG sales staff should wear stockings on their heads.
    Get some gorm.
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,853 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Agree with Ormus, BG are a joke, their quotes are quite simply ridiculous, they try and play on their 'reputation'.

Get a couple of local companies to come in and give you quotes, your mum will save £1000s.

:D
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • Definitely too much. Get a few local quotes as suggested.
    MFiT - T2 # 64start date: 1.7.09 MFW end date: 31.10.17
    Start balance: £205,746.51 :eek: Month 18/100..paid 13.50%
    Current balance: £177,977.07 (updated 18.12.10)
    Target 12.12.12: From £194,000 to £140,000:p
    MFI-3 reductions: £16,023/£54,000 achieved (29.67%):j
  • gas4you
    gas4you Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    Ridiculous as per usual BG!!

I would have thought more likely to be around £2700 with a 5 year warranty on a boiler.

What a load of tosh that the 5 year warranty is useless. Just BG wanting to sell their aftercare policy.

I would also never fit a Worcester, let alone this model.

Ask around and get a reputable local in to quote. Does your local council run a 'trusted trader' scheme or the like? Or call Age Concern, they probably have a list of reliable locals.
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    My Mum ( aged 76) has had a quote for a new boiler from British Gas. Her existing boiler has broken so she wants to get a new one in quickly, but I'm a bit concerned BG are so expensive and seem to want to do loads of extra work. Can someone advise please?

Supply and fit Worcester Bosch 15Ri
    Remove existing boiler,
    set up scaffolding over a conservatory to resite new boiler from downstairs to upstairs airing cupboard and put flue out of roof,
    add a cylinder thermostat to the immersion tank,
    add a diverter to the thermostat,
    move the heating tank in the loft to give 1m head height,
    put a wireless room thermostat in even though every radiator in the house has its own controller
    Put an electronic timer on the boiler.

They are offering her 2 years free maintenance contract, but claim the Worcester 5 year guarantee is worthless unless there is a contract continued for 5 years. They also claim if anything goes wrong in the 5 years they will completely replace the boiler free of charge if needs be.

They are including an over 60's discount of £300

total price (after discounts) £4701

Mum is gobsmacked. Surely this can't be right.

Is this a fair price? If not, any idea what is? Do we have to have all these thermostats etc (they claim the regulations insist)? Any idea where to go to get a better but still reliable quote - we are in north east Kent

Thanks for your help

Good evening: if by north east Kent you mean Thanet/Herne Bay/Whitstable, then you shouldn't have any trouble finding a decent independent RGI who will quote your mum a higher spec. for at least £1000-£1500 less. Try the CIPHE website if you can't get a recommendation from a source you trust.

HTH

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • Richmond155 - I have just posted a near identical story, although you have much more detail. My Mum has also been given a similar quote for a new boiler. I probably should have just posted here!(Apologies to board regulars)

I thought it seemed expensive.

xx
    Nevertheless she persisted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills