Help Please-Unhappy Buyer

Options
Hello,

I am hoping one of the more experienced E-Bayers can help me.

I have sold around 60 items now on e-bay, all customers happy etc.

A few weeks ago I sold a blanket time Iggle Piggle, which I decsribed as used, has been played with, but in good condition which it is.

I have received an e-mail today from the buyer who has an e-bay toy shop, saying that the item was dirty and threadbare in places.

I am quite shocked, but as I don't want bad feedback, I have emailed back to say that If the item is returned back to me, I will refund the amount paid plus postage costs.

Is this the right thing to do???

Many Thanks

Comments

• kprigg
    kprigg Posts: 718 Forumite
    Options
    Yes thats the right thing to do, hopefully your buyer will see you are doing the right thing & leave decent feedback.

Unfortunately if they leave bad feedback there isnt much you can do apart from replying nicely saying you refunded immediately & sorry they weren't happy.

I have had a similar thing happen recently & am waiting to see what feedback they leave. Ive prepared myself for the worst & will just put it down to experience.
  • thebaileys
    thebaileys Posts: 251 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your advice.

I have offered to refund postage costs incurred on sending the item back to me too, and will await the feedback.
  • boystuff163
    Options
    thebaileys wrote: »
    Hello,

I am hoping one of the more experienced E-Bayers can help me.

I have sold around 60 items now on e-bay, all customers happy etc.

A few weeks ago I sold a blanket time Iggle Piggle, which I decsribed as used, has been played with, but in good condition which it is.

I have received an e-mail today from the buyer who has an e-bay toy shop, saying that the item was dirty and threadbare in places.

I am quite shocked, but as I don't want bad feedback, I have emailed back to say that If the item is returned back to me, I will refund the amount paid plus postage costs.

Is this the right thing to do???

Many Thanks

File a mutual consent form with Ebay and this means that you get your fees back and also refund via Paypal as again you won't pay any fees, you can't be any fairer than you have been so far.
    If the buyer has an Ebay shop he/she knows the score too!
  • emby
    emby Posts: 446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    File a mutual consent form with Ebay and this means that you get your fees back and also refund via Paypal as again you won't pay any fees, you can't be any fairer than you have been so far.
    If the buyer has an Ebay shop he/she knows the score too!

Don't do this without contacting the buyer first; otherwise they may well reject it.
  • thebaileys
    Options
    Well I've had a quick trawl throught the seller's feedback left for others as a buyer, it sure makes interesting reading!

Lots of item arrived broken-refund given by seller-item binned.

Other's saying item was dirty etc, and the seller saying the item they sent the buyer was not dirty, and that the buyer had sent the wrong item back! (This has happened twice in the last month)

The seller has bought about 9 of the same item over the last 2-3 weeks, so I am hoping that I get the right one back!

Thanks
  • lindseykim13
    lindseykim13 Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    Options
    This defo looks like a case of them buying to sell on and then getting something they wern't happy with so picking on one of the sellers to get a refund and i bet you get the wrong one back, i wouldn't refund return postage as this looks way to suspiscious.
    They have an ebay toy shop?

If they weren't happy why wait to contact you, think they are picking on you because they thought they could take advantage?
  • thebaileys
    Options
    I know I think because I've only been selling for a couple of months I look like an easy target!

I have already offered the refund and return postage.

I won't be happy if I get the wrong one back as the one I sold was in good condition, and was well looked after.

But really don't know what else to do, but just refund and put it behind me.
  • lindseykim13
    lindseykim13 Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    Options
    you don't have to refund return postage even if they make a claim through paypal they will only be awarded (if they win) with the full amount they paid you, not return postage.
    If they do send the wrong item back i'd take it up with ebay/paypal before refunding see what they say first.
    If they do return it worth noting that they have to send it tracked so they can prove to payapl that they have returned it.
    If they send it standard cheapo way they are planning on you not knowing that they should have sent it tracked because you could claim it was never returned to you.
    Hope that ramble makes some sence.
  • alfiesmum
    alfiesmum Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    Options
    Ask them to open a Paypal claim to return it to you. That way at least Paypal will have a record of all the things that seem to turn up at her house, dirty, or worn, or what ever.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,110 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    They're quite clearly making a profit from buying, picking invisible faults, then getting money off. I wouldn't be surprised if they reply asking for a partial refund.

I would just do nothing, leave them to open a dispute and return it at their own cost, and if they leave a negative, reply to it calmly stating what their game is, and point people to see the feedback they've left for others.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure