We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Aqualeiga seeds not doing anything!

Options
kimmee
kimmee Posts: 680 Forumite
First Post
I sowed some Aqualeiga seeds about 10 days ago, they're in an unheated propagator on a sunny windowsill (well as sunny as it can be at the moment!) and they haven't done anything at all. Should I give up hope yet?

Any advice welcomed. Thanks

Comments

• serena
    serena Posts: 2,387 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldn't give up hope yet.

If they fail to emerge after another two weeks, then leave the tray outside somewhere and see if they come up then.

If still nothing then tip the contents out into a spot in a border, stick the label in the middle and forget about it for a while - they may well come up at some point!

I have grown perennials for years, and usually sow early in the year - January time, in an unheated greenhouse. Perennials tend to germinate sporadically, and over a number of weeks, months - or in the case of some peonies, years!!
    It is never too late to become what you were always intended to be
  • kimmee
    First Post
    Options
    Thanks Serena - I'll do as you advise.

This is the first time I've attempted to grow perennials from seed, in the old days of 'plenty of money' I just used to go to the garden centre and fill my trolley :eek: but I've now caught the bug of growing from scratch (I'm glad my new found poverty has got some positives :D)

I really hope they come up as they are some of my fav flowers.
  • alm721
    alm721 Posts: 727 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I grew some aqueligias last year and they took a lot longer than other seeds I had planted and longer then they should have. I very nearly threw them but gave them another couple of weeks and they did eventually come up. No idea why they took so long, but I would hang on yet if I were you.
  • kimmee
    First Post
    Options
    alm721 wrote: »
    I grew some aqueligias last year and they took a lot longer than other seeds I had planted and longer then they should have. I very nearly threw them but gave them another couple of weeks and they did eventually come up. No idea why they took so long, but I would hang on yet if I were you.

Thanks alm721, after your reply and Serena's I definitely won't throw them out for a while, in fact if I do I will throw the compost where I would have planted them and keep on hoping!!
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,756 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The aqualeiga in my garden self seed like weeds - can't get rid of the blasted things. So if you do end up chucking the compost out, there's hope for you yet.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • kimmee
    First Post
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    The aqualeiga in my garden self seed like weeds - can't get rid of the blasted things. So if you do end up chucking the compost out, there's hope for you yet.

Yeah, I remember in the first house me and ex-hubby bought the garden was really overgrown and when we finally got round to weeding it, just about the only decent flowers were dozens and dozens of aqualiegas. Even with the memories of my ex, they're still my favorites :rotfl:
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    elsien wrote: »

Me too, they self seed everywhere without any assistance from me, luckily they make decent compost.
  • ds1980
    ds1980 Posts: 1,213 Forumite
    Options
    third or fourth that they spread everywhere! I like them though so only dig them up if we have something more suitable. They're better than weeds.Give it time they'll be on their way soon enough.
  • kimmee
    First Post
    Options
    Just to let you know that my seeds have germinated in the last week and now it looks like I will have dozens of aquileigas to plant out (and may live to regret!!!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure