Quotes Are In - Boiler Repair or New Installation?

Maxes_Party_Planner
Maxes_Party_Planner Posts: 62 Forumite
edited 30 March 2010 at 2:36PM in Is this quote fair?
I’ve recently posted on another thread about problems I’ve been having with a Worcester Bosch RD628 combi boiler which is about 6/7yrs old.

Having just received the quotes for both a new installation (as an option) and also to repair the existing boiler, I was wondering whether anyone had any views on the prices I’ve been quoted and also on whether replacing the existing boiler would be a bit over the top under the circumstances. (The new boiler would come with a 5yr warranty subject to annual boiler cover which I’ve been quoted £90 a year for.)

I’ve noticed all the anomalies re: VAT so I’m assuming everything will be charged at the correct rate, although as this is a formal quote, are they bound by what they’ve submitted?
Quote 1 – New Boiler

Remove and dispose of existing boiler.
Supply and fit Vaillant EcoTEC Pro 28 condensing combination boiler into existing position.
Supply and install soakaway for condensate pipe.
Supply and fit Honeywell CM921 remote programmable room stat into hallway.
Manual Flush heating system.
Fill and inhibit system.
Commission and register boiler.

Materials and Labour £1280.00
VAT @ 15% £224.00
Total £1504.00
Quote 2 – Repair existing boiler

To supply and fit new heat exchanger and pressure vessel (no mention of installing a soakaway here)
£570.00 + VAT
The quote then goes on to say…

We also highly recommend:
Supply and fit Magnaclean TwinTech system filter (material cost only)

Materials and Labour £112.00
VAT @ 15% £16.80
Total £128.80
I’m not sure whether this Magnaclean 'add on' applies to either or both quotes but after a quick five minutes on the internet I’ve already sourced one for £105.99 including VAT. Would anyone recommend this filter?

Many thanks

Comments

• plumb1_2
    plumb1_2 Posts: 4,395
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Quote 1 , is not to bad of a price, but a manual flush is the pants, it needs a powerflush, especialy with a combi condenser.

Quote 2, have you tried British Gas or Worcester, they do a 1 off repair for £150- £200. But you might have to join the warrentie scheme. Homecare 200 etc

Supply and fit Magnaclean TwinTech system filter (material cost only)
    Total £128.80

Thats a good price fitted and would recomend fitting it, its a must with a combi imo.So you can get 1 for £105.99 a saving of £22.81. Will they fit it for free? If there is a problem with it, it will be your problem! Not worth the hassle for 22 squids imo.
  • plumb1

Thanks for the reply.

If the quotes they've provided are indeed reasonable, I'm going to opt for the new installation with the Magna Clean Twintech filter.

I'll enquire with them about the powerflush and see what they come back with.
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    i would certainly go for the new install and not the repair.
    Get some gorm.
  • gas4you
    gas4you Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    All I would add is to ask them to quote for an Ecotec Plus 831. A far superior boiler with a longer warranty.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure