PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

When to call in a valuer

Options
We are wanting to move this year and wondered when we should get the valuers in? I want to get them in now....but the misses wants to wait and splash some paint about first to try and add a few quid to the overall price of the house.

My way of thinking is this- when the valuer arrives ask him some questions about what may increase the value such as a driveway- How much does adding a driveway increase the overall properry value?

I know it may seem like a silly question but your views will be greatly appreciated

Comments

• MissMotivation
    MissMotivation Posts: 1,751 Forumite
    Options
    Painting a few rooms will not add value to a property!

When do you want to put the property onto the market? I would get valuations done a couple of weeks before you want to market it.
    My home is usually the House Buying, Renting and Selling Forum where I can be found trying to (sometimes unsucessfully) prove that not all Estate Agents are crooks. With 20 years experience of Sales/Lettings and having bought and sold many of my own properties I've usually got something to say ;)
    Ignore......check!
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What is the harm in getting an agent round and discussing what work will add value or improve saleability (MissM is right about the paint - but it WILL make the house sell faster).

When you've done the work you're going to do, get it valued again!
  • sdoherty1000
    Options
    Thanks missy, does adding in a driveway increase the value or is it a gimmick that makes people buy? The wife wants a new 64ft fence putting in to increase value- do matters such as this increase the value? Should I get it done and maybe make back the money I put into it? ie spend £500 on a fence and hope to make that £500 back on the property price. driveway would be £1500 minimum and would I break even.

Again thanks
  • sdoherty1000
    Options
    excellent advice from you both- these are exactly the answers I was looking for. Now I tell the wife she was wrong ha ha male 1 female 0 he he
  • MissMotivation
    Options
    Thanks missy, does adding in a driveway increase the value or is it a gimmick that makes people buy? The wife wants a new 64ft fence putting in to increase value- do matters such as this increase the value? Should I get it done and maybe make back the money I put into it? ie spend £500 on a fence and hope to make that £500 back on the property price. driveway would be £1500 minimum and would I break even.

Again thanks

Really difficult to say without knowing the property, the competition within the are and your target market.

Does the property already have a driveway?. I really don't think that a new fence is going to add value, more like, as G-M said, make it sell quicker.
    My home is usually the House Buying, Renting and Selling Forum where I can be found trying to (sometimes unsucessfully) prove that not all Estate Agents are crooks. With 20 years experience of Sales/Lettings and having bought and sold many of my own properties I've usually got something to say ;)
    Ignore......check!
  • MissMotivation
    Options
    excellent advice from you both- these are exactly the answers I was looking for. Now I tell the wife she was wrong ha ha male 1 female 0 he he

Noooo! Woman are always right...didn't you realise? :D
    Ignore......check!
  • Cannon_Fodder
    Cannon_Fodder Posts: 3,980 Forumite
    Options
    64ft high ? "Secluded location"
  • surreybased
    surreybased Posts: 283 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

I think it depends on the house - if it's a FTB type buy then they tend to look for a house in 'move in' condition but I think people trading up to family houses know they will re paint etc to taste. If your house however is painted to your taste - loud colours or dark colours then neutral is always better.

Driveway is interesting - I would only be interested in a house with parking - so if it doesn't have a drive then I think that's important. If you are just upgrading a drive maybe not so much.

fencing - think that depends on the house - would a fence provide seclusion, does it help shield a neighbours house ?

Why not take some pictures of your house to check what it will photograph like, might help to give you a different perspective on it.
  • MissMotivation
    Options
    64ft high ? "Secluded location"

I must get my eyes tested....I read that as 6ft! "secluded location" or something to hide :rotfl:
    Ignore......check!
  • sdoherty1000
    Options
    its a large rear garden with a 64ft long run x 6ft panels. The fence there now is old and shabby. The house doesnt have a driveway only off street parking. I am the same as you- no driveway......no sale
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure