PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Full Local Authority Search??

Options
Hi there

This is my first post on here so I hope I have posted in the right place!

We are buying a property, and I believe the HIP has been completed in the last few weeks.

We have received a letter from our solicitor saying the local search carried out was only a personal one? She did say this is accepted by our lender, however can not be validated????

She has recommend we pay an extra £100 to have a full local authority search done which will go into more detail. new roads, tree preservation order, proposals for new roads etc.

Im just wondering if this is something that should have been covered orginally? Do HIPs not cover full searches? Is it necessary to have this?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• seabright
    seabright Posts: 639 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    HIP's don't usually have full local authority searches as the Personal Local Authority search is cheaper to get. The Full version is carried out by the L/Auth and so they are liable if it is wrong.

The Personal search agency will have insurance, so you'd have to sue them if they made a mistake and hope they'd kept their insurance up to date etc.

Most lenders will accept a local search "at the risk of the conveyancer" ie your solicitor. Unsurprisingly, a lot of solicitors don't want to carry that risk on behalf of the lender, as they do not benefit from the transaction, but are just being asked to take the risk.

That's why she's recommending a Full search. Also, the results are likely to be more accurate as not all the records are open to the Personal search agency
  • david29dpo
    david29dpo Posts: 3,748 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This happens a lot with cheap HIPs. Ask the vendors to pay.
  • timmyt
    timmyt Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    Options
    arayofhope wrote: »
    Hi there

This is my first post on here so I hope I have posted in the right place!

We are buying a property, and I believe the HIP has been completed in the last few weeks.

We have received a letter from our solicitor saying the local search carried out was only a personal one? indeed, most are and the government did not choose to insist they were official so your lawyer is perfectly ok to use a personal search per se She did say this is accepted by our lender, however can not be validated???? sorry your english lost me on this sentence

She has recommend we pay an extra £100 to have a full local authority search done which will go into more detail. new roads, tree preservation order, proposals for new roads etc. nonsense, it answers the same enquiries. she is just covering herself in that it is true, a personal search by some companies is dubious to say the least. have they really visisted the Council for one. They rely on insurance so if they make a mistake they are covered, so what the heck...

Im just wondering if this is something that should have been covered orginally? Do HIPs not cover full searches? Is it necessary to have this?

Thanks in advance

see above in red.
    My posts are just my opinions and are not offered as legal advice - though I consider them darn fine opinions none the less.:cool2:

My bad spelling...well I rush type these opinions on my own time, so sorry, but they are free.:o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure