PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Estate Agent Tricks

Options
We have just had an offer accepted on a house but the estate agent has insisted that in order for the vendor to have security she wants us to take the mortgage and solicitor out with the estate agent.

My first reaction is utter bullsh*t and in summary I told them where to go. I am wondering if the vendor even said this or whether the estate agent was putting words into hear mouth.

Is this common dodgy practice by estate agents? I am also worried now in case they pull any other fast ones trying to trip me up.
Gunderful a.k.a JudgeJules8165

Comments

• Annisele
    Annisele Posts: 4,828 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's uncommon for estate agents to actually put in writing that you "must" use their tame financial adviser/solicitor - but it's pretty common for EAs to verbally imply that it would be a very good idea.

Find yourself a decent (unconnected) solicitor, and let him do his job - he'll know the tricks, and his job will be to work for you.
  • marcg
    marcg Posts: 177 Forumite
    Options
    I suggest a brief letter direct to the vendors notifying them of the EA's comments (without passing judgement in case it is true) and giving them your (unconnected) solicitors details.
    I'm an ARB-registered RIBA-chartered architect. However, no advice given over the internet can be truly relied upon since the person giving the advice hasn't actually got enough information to give it with confidence. Go and pay someone!
  • MissMotivation
    MissMotivation Posts: 1,751 Forumite
    Options
    The EA cannot force you to use their Conveyancer/Mortgage Adviser and I would doubt that the Vendor would refuse to sell to you should you not use their services either.

Why don't you book another viewing and ask the Vendor directly?
    My home is usually the House Buying, Renting and Selling Forum where I can be found trying to (sometimes unsucessfully) prove that not all Estate Agents are crooks. With 20 years experience of Sales/Lettings and having bought and sold many of my own properties I've usually got something to say ;)
    Ignore......check!
  • Gunderful
    Gunderful Posts: 443 Forumite
    Options
    Unfortunately the vendor has moved out and is living in other accomodation, otherwise I would have asked directly.
    Gunderful a.k.a JudgeJules8165
  • timmyt
    timmyt Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    Options
    Gunderful wrote: »
    We have just had an offer accepted on a house but the estate agent has insisted that in order for the vendor to have security she wants us to take the mortgage and solicitor out with the estate agent.

My first reaction is utter bullsh*t and in summary I told them where to go. I am wondering if the vendor even said this or whether the estate agent was putting words into hear mouth.

Is this common dodgy practice by estate agents? I am also worried now in case they pull any other fast ones trying to trip me up.

as a conveyancing solicitor, tomorrow, contact the press to state what has just happened (go online to your local paper and say you have a story for them).

also report it to tradinf standards.

do not even raise it with the agents.

this is terrible practivce.

a mational estate agent no doubt.

also, put your offer in writing and say your lawyer awaits contract papers from the sellers lawyers and times a wasting.

their lawyers are crap and over priced, as is their agency I am afraid...i see these sorts of agents all the time, and when I try and post about them I get lon time posters replying dismissing me.

always always sell your house through a local estate agent, who will not over value, tie you in, ...og I could give the top 20 things to make sure your estate agent does not do
    My posts are just my opinions and are not offered as legal advice - though I consider them darn fine opinions none the less.:cool2:

My bad spelling...well I rush type these opinions on my own time, so sorry, but they are free.:o
  • amit175
    amit175 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Gunderful wrote: »
    Unfortunately the vendor has moved out and is living in other accomodation, otherwise I would have asked directly.
    I am taking a wild guess that the estate agents are B.. M.... Ask them for the HIP. They are obliged to give you that, or at least let you access it on one of their desk tops. It could have vendor details, at least the name & possibly current address. You could also request the EA to give you the vendor's number, & check for yourself what his position on the matter is. Under normal circumstances, the EA may just have the scared the vendor (typically older singles / couples) into believing that you aren't credit-worthy & that the chances of you securing the mortgage are slim unless you go through them. Not everyone's as smart as people on the forum. Normally, the EA will move the property off the market if the vedor instructs them, however in your case, they are clearly not interested in doing that.
  • MissMotivation
    Options
    Timmy, timmy, timmy......you were doing so well! :D

What if it's not a national EA?? What if it's a local EA :eek:

OP.....by all means take this further, but if you don't want to lose the house then I would forget the press route, trading standards won't give a damn either!

Having thought about it a bit more, why don't you go into the EA's office and get them to ring the Vendor whilst you are there and ask if you can speak to him/her.....get it from the horse's mouth so to speak??
    My home is usually the House Buying, Renting and Selling Forum where I can be found trying to (sometimes unsucessfully) prove that not all Estate Agents are crooks. With 20 years experience of Sales/Lettings and having bought and sold many of my own properties I've usually got something to say ;)
    Ignore......check!
  • timmyt
    Options
    ha ha...just no new posts to reply about crap EAs.

it will be a national, obviously. so you are ok as you aren't..are you???

yes, raise a stink, and your conveyancing can go along side by side.

yeah good idea too MissM, but they won't in practice
    My posts are just my opinions and are not offered as legal advice - though I consider them darn fine opinions none the less.:cool2:

My bad spelling...well I rush type these opinions on my own time, so sorry, but they are free.:o
  • MissMotivation
    Options
    timmyt wrote: »

it will be a national, obviously. so you are ok as you aren't..are you???

No......I'm a local EA for local people :rotfl:

(League of Gentleman reference for anyone wondering what I'm on about)
    Ignore......check!
  • timmyt
    Options
    there you go. one of the good guys. use MissM people, local is best.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure