transition 18/ 19 help for son needed

Options
my 18 nearly 19 yr old has autism, i have kept him on course in further ed as he is interested in doing some art courses and has real talent for art.

ok here is the problem..... do i now pop him on esa and organise his own benefits he gets dla anyway

or do i keep child benefit till he is 20 (april next yr) and child tax credit .....

he cant get any more College ema as he is nearly 19 and thats when it stops but because he is not able to do a level 2 course he can not have an adult learning grant or any weekly funds

i have the medical dr's certificate for the esa and i have child benifit letter ready to tell them his new september course.... what should i do?

oh yes iq is 79 so above learning disability and in longterm conditions

the college is not offering any advice as they still dont have a clue about funding and we may have to pay for his course anyway, but he is left with very little for his day to day bits and bobs .....
1. i'm bi polar.:rotfl:2. carer for two autistic sons.:A 3. have a wonderful but challenging teenage daughter.:mad: 4. have a husband that is insatiable. :eek: 5. trying to do an open degree.

Comments

• happy_lass
    happy_lass Posts: 464 Forumite
    Options
    Can he handle his own financial affairs? Have the DWP made you his appointee? My daughter is 19 in june. She is severely autistic and has lots of learning difficulties. She cant talk properely and finds it extremely diffiicult to string two words togeather. She needs 24 hours a day supervison. I applied for incapacity benefit for her before it became ESA. She wont get anymore EMA when she turns 19. its entirely up to you whether you keep him on CB and CTC for a while. It worked better for my daughter the other way round. :beer:
    life is what you make it, make it fun !
  • T--J
    T--J Posts: 4,298 Forumite
    Options
    You need to speak to a benefit advisor, I spoke to one at my son's school transition evening & found out that we'd be MUCH better off claiming ESA because we're on the lowest rate of CTC.

Try asking your social worker for your local contact.
    2017 Wins: £200 (Total since 2008: £43,827! :shocked:)
    Best wins: £5000 with ITV :eek:, Trips to New York fashion week/Malta/Lake Como/Paris/London/St Mellion spa, iPhones, iPad, TVs, vouchers
    May-Oct: 0 Nov: £200.10
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport