wanting to cancel virgin

Options
can anyone tell me if i have to pay a cancellation fee if i leave virgin media due to bad service?

i had broadband tv and phone with them since may 09, i moved house and was hoping for a quick easy change over, but in the area where i have moved to doesnt have fibre optic cables so virgin put me on to sky for my tv bt openreach came to fit my landline which virgin then rent from them, and they sent me a new router.
all this was installed on 5th march and since then iv had hardly any internet service and been on the phone to them several times a week.

sky have just offered me a great deal but need a MAC code from virgin who are now wanting £180 cancellation fee.

do i have to pay this to get the MAC code???
:undecided:undecided

Comments

• CHR15
    CHR15 Posts: 5,193 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    VM will charge you for the remainder of the 12 Month contract period you signed up to.

They will reduce the service to the lowest tier, then charge you the remaining Months of the contract.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 29 March 2010 at 5:35PM
    Options
    Why is it VM's fault that you chose to move to a poor broadband service area?
  • maxgwen
    maxgwen Posts: 80 Forumite
    Options
    thanks chris.

neil its not a poor broadband area the signal is exellent i think its the router but they wont send a new 1 until i buy a filter and sum sort of other cable which they only told me today, after ringing up nearly everyday since 5th march.
    and if it goes off on a wknd i have to wait til monday cos the techi lot dont work wknds. how mad is that.
    :undecided:undecided
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Two things; firstly how would you know that the signal is excellent if it keeps dropping, clearly it isn't. Secondally, you are aware that once you are put on an ADSL service there is an initial line training period that takes place during which time your connection will be reset.

Did you not get any microfilter(s) with your router and what sort of cable are you being asked to buy. How exactly is your router connected to your line?

One final thing, when exactly is your contract up with Virgin?
  • dreamypuma
    dreamypuma Posts: 1,338 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    maxgwen wrote: »
    thanks chris.

neil its not a poor broadband area the signal is exellent i think its the router but they wont send a new 1 until i buy a filter and sum sort of other cable which they only told me today, after ringing up nearly everyday since 5th march.
    and if it goes off on a wknd i have to wait til monday cos the techi lot dont work wknds. how mad is that.

I think this says it all. You quite clearly have no idea.

If I were you I would be finding out how far away you are from your BT exchange.

Of course Sky would be offering you a fantastic deal, it doesn't mean that their broadband is going to be any better than what you have now.
    My farts hospitalize small children :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport