Architect drawings for loft conversion

beckstrous
beckstrous Posts: 293 Forumite
edited 29 March 2010 at 3:55PM in Is this quote fair?
Hi there,

I wondered if folks could give me a feel for whether or not this quote sounds reasonable.

We are looking to do a loft conversion with dormer on our bungalow and met an architect last week, who quoted 1000 pounds plus VAT for the drawings (fees payable to the council extra). This includes structural calculations.

Whether or not the guy is good isn't an issue as he was recommended. I had two other architects also recommended but they are impossible to get hold of (phone either engaged or just rings and rings and rings; I have tried several times).

I phoned a local company randomly (I'm in Surrey) and they said "no less than 1000 pounds" so it sounds as though this price is probably fair but I just wanted to check.

Any opinions welcome - cheers!

Comments

• Plasterer
    Plasterer Posts: 819 Forumite
    beckstrous wrote: »
    Hi there,

I wondered if folks could give me a feel for whether or not this quote sounds reasonable.

We are looking to do a loft conversion with dormer on our bungalow and met an architect last week, who quoted 1000 pounds plus VAT for the drawings (fees payable to the council extra). This includes structural calculations.

Whether or not the guy is good isn't an issue as he was recommended. I had two other architects also recommended but they are impossible to get hold of (phone either engaged or just rings and rings and rings; I have tried several times).

I phoned a local company randomly (I'm in Surrey) and they said "no less than 1000 pounds" so it sounds as though this price is probably fair but I just wanted to check.

Any opinions welcome - cheers!

Sounds good to me, I have a friend that charges me about £1000 + vat and that (he tells me) is mates rates
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Why do you need an Architect? This seemsa a fairly straightforward job so why not employ the nservices of a Draftsman? they are trained in drawing, building regs and calculations, but because they don't train for 7 years and design world leading buildings, they don't cost as much. Prob get it done for half that.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • iamcornholio
    iamcornholio Posts: 1,900 Forumite
    phill99 wrote: »
    Why do you need an Architect?

Most people calll anyone who draws plans and "Architect" but in fact they mean "designer".

And proper Architect (ie RIBA/ARB) would not be charging £1k for a loft conversion - more like £5k.

£1k including calculations is a reasonable price.

Be aware of possible Party Wall issues (and fees) if the bungalow is attached to another.

Also make sure the designer's fees are all in, and include for any changes required by building control or the planners
  • I deal with these kinds of problems all the time.
    A draughtsperson will be cheaper to do your drawings etc but they are not lisenced in the same way an architect is. so if there are any problems with the loft conversion that arise from a poor design by the draughtsperson then you will have no come back as they are not lisenced.

As a loft conversion is a major structural alteration to your home I would advise that you spend the extra and get a "proper" architect.

Having said that your quote of £1000 + Vat to do your drawings sounds competitive from a good architect. if its only a draughtsperson quote I would say it is a bit expensive.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure