any advise for westie owner

Have a 3 1/2 year old male westie - He is a great dog, but i dare not let him off the lead - if he manages to escape out the door i have a awful time trying to get him back - he things its a great game running away from us -
Due to elderly member of family being in hosptial for over 7 months and my husband deciding to walk out on us - the dog does not get as much attention as it used to.
Any tips please on (1) training him to come back to me
(2) dog groomer says he is a nighmare - tends to get a bit hiper - especialy once ive left the shop.
(3) he is not left at home all day - i do manage to get home at lunch time and take him out for a short walk, but due to hospital visits and children to deal with -
any suggestions
also any suggestions on cutting costs now that we are on our own, ive just paid this years insurance and have annual injections dog groomers etc would love to keep the dog as - dispite everything he is great at alerting you to people around and done ever feel like im alone in the house when he is around.

Comments

• hiya - what does he really like...? treats, fuss or playing (eg, with a ball?) to train recall; decide on the signal you want him to come to (come here, or a whistle perhaps), and use it when you put his dinner down, also use it to call him in the house, and when he comes reward him every time, with praise (preferably lots of 'good boy's in an excited daft voice!!) plus a reward (a tasty treat, a fuss or a game!) - use the same signal every time, and when you are confident he comes to it every time in the house, try using it when outdoors, perhaps with him on a long line to start off with - he has to know that every time you call him to 'come here' or whistle him, or whatever signal you use, that coming running equals fun and praise!

Never, ever call him to you to tell him off - that will undo all the learning - coming on command has to equal fun every time!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure