Credit Card PPI

Options
thecork
thecork Posts: 4 Newbie
edited 28 March 2010 at 12:45AM in Reclaim PPI & other insurance
Hi all,

Having read through all of the info regarding reclaiming I have decided to go ahead and try and reclaim for my HSBC Credit Card PPI on the grounds that i was mis-sold as i was a student at the time and therefor the unemployment clause did not apply and was therefore unsuitable The PPI started about 8 years ago but i paid it for a good 3 years before cancelling - will i still be able to claim? The card is still in use today. Another quick question before i begin. I am also planning on re-claiming the charges on the same credit card. Do i do these as seperate claims or shall i do all of it at the same time?

Thanks,

Cork.

Comments

• di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    thecork wrote: »
    Hi all,

Having read through all of the info regarding reclaiming I have decided to go ahead and try and reclaim for my HSBC Credit Card PPI on the grounds that i was mis-sold as i was a student at the time and therefor the unemployment clause did not apply and was therefore unsuitable The PPI started about 8 years ago but i paid it for a good 3 years before cancelling - will i still be able to claim? The card is still in use today. Another quick question before i begin. I am also planning on re-claiming the charges on the same credit card. Do i do these as seperate claims or shall i do all of it at the same time?

Thanks,

Cork.

Hi Cork and welcome.;)

Yes you can reclaim all the PPI you have paid up until this was cancelled and again yes you can also reclaim on the charges but separately.

For the charges side of it I would post if you require help on this over at the reclaiming card charges thread here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.html?f=102

In regards of the actual ppi your in the right place here.
    I take it you still have the account number as the account is still running?

Right, what you do with the reasons you have for being mis sold, you write to them and give them 8 weeks in full to resolve, if they do not uphold in your favour or offer you a reasonable offer by the final decision, you then have the rights to move it on to the Financial ombudsman service (FOS), they should enclose details of the FOS with the leaflet.
    I would also post within the post office for your proof of posting.

Below is the link to Martin's guidelines of reclaiming, you will come across templates, a checklist of mis selling reasons, so if any other reasons apply - write them in as well.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance

Good luck with this.
    Do not worry about writing down the amounts, you should receive the breakdown if successful or you can request they send them to you.

Please keep us posted and ask for help anytime.;)

Di
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • thecork
    Options
    Thanks Di for answering me so swiftly! I will take advice and head over the CC charges page and go through that one seperatly! Yes i have the account details, unfortunately online banking for HSBC Credit Cards only goes back 6 months, way after i cancelled the PPI so I am assuming i need to request my statements since the PPI was sold to me so i know how much i have paid?

I was sold it over the phone, and like i said, i reckon being a student (at the time) should mean that i was mis-sold, as i would have been un-eligible to claim. Apart from anything, i dont even remember if they asked me my status (even though i had a student current account with them at the same time!).

Thanks again, i will go through the guide and get the template filled out and sent off!
  • di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    thecork wrote: »
    Thanks Di for answering me so swiftly! I will take advice and head over the CC charges page and go through that one seperatly! Yes i have the account details, unfortunately online banking for HSBC Credit Cards only goes back 6 months, way after i cancelled the PPI so I am assuming i need to request my statements since the PPI was sold to me so i know how much i have paid?

I was sold it over the phone, and like i said, i reckon being a student (at the time) should mean that i was mis-sold, as i would have been un-eligible to claim. Apart from anything, i dont even remember if they asked me my status (even though i had a student current account with them at the same time!).

Thanks again, i will go through the guide and get the template filled out and sent off!

Hi hun

Your very welcome.

It may be cheaper to request for a SAR (Subject access Request) where they must send all they have on you, this way you should receive statements, information of the PPI, cancellation, the calculations and so on and when taken out.
    They have 40 days to comply, SAR Template letter with details here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1475553
    This will also save you requesting information separately for for both charges and the PPI. However, you enclose £10 postal order or cheque payment for this request.

To request statements to what I am aware of cost about £6 per sheet, so at least with a SAR, you should receive ALL the info for the cost of £10.

It would be also useful if they could supply you with copies of the telephone recordings by disc, it may be enclosed within the SAR, but if not then they should enclose written telephone transcripts of the sale of the PPI, dates etc etc.

Good luck.;)
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family