Car hire - refundable excess worth it or not?

Options

Comments

• bronte_2
    Options
    Try going to the 'quick car' site these have been really competitively priced cars for us and generally you get an upgrade too
  • Donnie
    Donnie Posts: 9,862 Forumite
    Options
    I bought a policy from http://www.insurance4carhire.com/ for £49 plus 5% insurance tax.
    The policy is for up to 31 days per trip, not 31 days per year. You can have an unlimited amount of trips. Covers tyres and windscreens too.
    Just making a claim after parking too close to a kerb.
    I'll let you know how swiftly they pay up.

BTW, apart from the exclusions mentioned above for the Holiday Autos insurance, one doesn't appear to be covered for theft.
  • skintscotsman
    Options
    2 brand new (under 500km) cars.

not necessarily a good thing. ever heard of infant mortality in the engineering sense of the word?

i'd rather go for a vehicle with 3k+ on it.
    A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back the minute it begins to rain.
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Donnie wrote:
    I bought a policy from http://www.insurance4carhire.com/ for £49 plus 5% insurance tax.
    The policy is for up to 31 days per trip, not 31 days per year. You can have an unlimited amount of trips.
    How many people actually hire cars for over 31 days per year? Hardly ANYONE if it's just for holidays. If you use it for trips within the UK as well, then that's a different matter.
  • Donnie
    Options
    You do appear to be 'going on a bit'. "Once again, why the heck pay £49 to cover 31 days of car hire? That's almost £600 per annum, just to cover a £500 or so excess. BAD VALUE!"
    Then, rather than retract your statement, we are treated to more conjecture.

I think the individual can decide whether it's worth paying the £50 after reading the terms and conditions.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    not necessarily a good thing. ever heard of infant mortality in the engineering sense of the word?

i'd rather go for a vehicle with 3k+ on it.
    Coincidentally, I am an engineer.

However, when hiring a car abroad, other than embarrassing oneself by saying "I'm sorry this car simply won't do - do you have anything older?", how exactly does one 'go for a vehicle with 3K+ on it'?
  • habugg
    habugg Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Watch out for 'Easy Autos'. You get a great cheap quote but then the collision damage waiver in small print tells you that if there is an accident (whether or not it is your fault) you pay £600.00.
  • tug
    tug Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I hired a car at Palma, Mallorca, last March with Europa rentacar via carhire3000.com
    I didn't pay for the extra insurance cover.
    I had a puncture (nail in tyre) and when I returned the car I was charged 18 euros by Europa as the insurance does not cover "damage to tyres, or replacement due to punctures, or bad driving." Windscreens are also not included. This was all written up in the small print.
    Had I not mentioned it they would have charged it to my credit card.
    Not a lot of money but I could have saved a few euros - I will pay the extra insurance in future.
  • Donnie
    Options
    Erm...no. The extra insurance(Super CDW/TPW) doesn't cover windscreens and tyres.

http://www.insurance4carhire.com/ does.
  • monkeyspanner
    Options
    Trisha-Was this Orlando Car Hire at TFS via HA. If it was, we just had a similarly dire pick up and drop off experience and have written to HA suggesting they should change their supplier.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure