PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Query on form from solicitor. Has anyone---

Options
WE are in the process of purchasing our new house. The solictor acting for us has sent us a form to fill in asking about joint ownership (A) If one of us died who would we leave it to, (B)and if we to both die at the same time would it revert back to own family, (C) Pass to children in equal shares, or (C)Other. Also questions about if we sold it. We have bought houses in the recent past but have never had a form to fill in like this before we proceed. We have made a will anyway so why should it be of any concern to the solicitor who has only been asked to deal with the buying of our new property Do we have to fill in and sign this form and is it part of the buying process now. It also asks for the names of people we are leaving it to it just seems a bit strange.

Comments

• Rinoa
    Rinoa Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    Options
    WE are in the process of purchasing our new house. The solictor acting for us has sent us a form to fill in asking about joint ownership (A) If one of us died who would we leave it to, (B)and if we to both die at the same time would it revert back to own family, (C) Pass to children in equal shares, or (C)Other. Also questions about if we sold it. We have bought houses in the recent past but have never had a form to fill in like this before we proceed. We have made a will anyway so why should it be of any concern to the solicitor who has only been asked to deal with the buying of our new property Do we have to fill in and sign this form and is it part of the buying process now. It also asks for the names of people we are leaving it to it just seems a bit strange.

There are two ways you can own property. Either as 'joint tenants' or as 'tenants in common'. Don't worry about the 'tenants' bit, it's just a legal term.

Basically if you own your property jointly, then whoever survives then owns the whole property, no matter what it says in any will. If you own property as tenants in common, then on death the property will pass according to the wishes in the will.

With so many people on second marriages, or in partnerships with children from previous relationships, the solicitor requires precise information in order to advise how the property should be owned. If he doesn't get this information and your children or others subsequently lose out, then they would no doubt sue him for his failure to advise you correctly.

He's covering himself whilst ensuring that if one of you dies, the property passes to who you would want it to.
    If I don't reply to your post,
    you're probably on my ignore list.
  • timmyt
    timmyt Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    Options
    if you hold at JTs (goes to survivor) then fine. but if you hold as tinc then you need a will by definition.

the lawyer's form could just say that!
    My posts are just my opinions and are not offered as legal advice - though I consider them darn fine opinions none the less.:cool2:

My bad spelling...well I rush type these opinions on my own time, so sorry, but they are free.:o
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes, maybe just touting for future trade, in my opinion.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport