PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

first time buyer help

Options
Hi,

I am a first time buyer and hoping to take advantage of the stamp duty holiday for first time buyers. However, in able to obtain a decent mortgage I have added my brothers name to the mortgage and he is not a first time buyer. Therefore I believe that I am not eligible to receive this offer. Is there any way around this? legally of course.

Having added my brother to help me obtain a mortgage I would like to own the property in my own name in the future. Is it best to have a joint tenancy or tenancy in common and what charges am I likely to have to pay in the future?

Thanks for all the help

Comments

• david29dpo
    david29dpo Posts: 3,748 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Question 1, No. 2, Can you pay your brother back? Can you afford the loan on your own? Will your lender allow his name off the loan? Can you trust him in the future? I could go on and on.
  • Azeem_2
    Azeem_2 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Yes I can pay him back and assuming the bank agrees to taking his name off what is the most cost affective way of achieving this?
  • david29dpo
    david29dpo Posts: 3,748 Forumite
    Options
    It is a simply matter of getting the forms from the land registry and paying the fee depending on the house value. £75 up to £150000 i think. Go for joint tenants so if one of you drop dead, it automatically goes to the other.
  • poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Options
    Isn't that dishonest?

And by taking part in a dishonest act aren't you ensuring house prices stay higher than they should be?
  • Azeem_2
    Azeem_2 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    poppysarah wrote: »
    Isn't that dishonest?

And by taking part in a dishonest act aren't you ensuring house prices stay higher than they should be?

Nope, it is not dishonest in the slightest. All parties are aware of the situation and have no problems. You could hardly blame me for the cost of housing these days you should probably look at the buy to let investors for that.

I am looking for advice not for the morality police.
  • ModernSlave
    ModernSlave Posts: 221 Forumite
    Options
    Azeem - A lot of people on these forums have a strong sense of right and wrong, black and white. Even if poppysarah's question was blunt I think it's a fair one to ask.
  • Estate_Agent
    Options
    The easiest and legal way of doing this is by a transfer of equity which can be performed by a solicitor. The easiest time to do this - I believe - is when you eventually remortgage the property. As long as you can afford the new mortgage on your own - subject to the lender's own criteria, you can remove your brother from the deeds. My wife and I did this in reverse when we first remortgaged and I went onto the mortgage and deeds.
  • brit1234
    brit1234 Posts: 5,385 Forumite
    Options
    No way round it you are eligble for stamp duty.
    :exclamatiScams - Shared Equity, Shared Ownership, Newbuy, Firstbuy and Help to Buy.

Save our Savers
  • poppy10_2
    poppy10_2 Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The easiest and legal way of doing this is by a transfer of equity which can be performed by a solicitor. The easiest time to do this - I believe - is when you eventually remortgage the property. As long as you can afford the new mortgage on your own - subject to the lender's own criteria, you can remove your brother from the deeds. My wife and I did this in reverse when we first remortgaged and I went onto the mortgage and deeds.
    For the stamp duty holiday this will not be accepted - the government has put in place measures so you cannot do this to avoid counting the brother as one of the purchasers, and therefore the whole transaction is subject to stamp duty.
    poppy10
  • superfran_uk
    superfran_uk Posts: 1,113 Forumite
    Options
    Ow, burned - by doing this you've made yourself eligible to pay stamp duty.

I guess honestly IS the best policy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport