Beijing, Xian and Shanghai in October

Options

Comments

• fife_saver
    Options
    tils, You'll find Visa and cirrus is accepted at most ATM's. Definately the easiest way. I had some us dollars travellers cheques as back up but didn't use them.

fruitpie, The Forbidden city just wasn't as impressive as I thought it would be. You can't go into anything (and a lot of looks the same). I just thought the summer palace was much more interesting as you can take boat trips on the lake, climb the hill etc. But, beware though that a lot of stuff in Beijing is in scaffolding as they're tarting it up for the olympics.

In Shanghai, get a tourist map when you arrive. Don't buy one, there's free one's available which are really good. The metro is the best way to get around and the machines have an english translation (watch out for different stations with the same names though!!) There was a great town called Zhuo Jia Jiao which is like venice and is an about an hour from Shanghai. There is a bus to it except it has no number! But I'm sure your hotel can help. Plus there's the bund, several parks, and various markets and temples (all mentioned in Lonely planet)

You can take photos inside terracotta warriors, but the light levels are quite low. As ianfao says you can get a taxi, but definately fix a price. Is about 45 mins from what I recall. Give yourself plenty time though - at least a 2-3hours.

As for photos, I tried a sneaky one of a small demo being broken up in Beijing but was seen and hauled over by the police. They let me go without taking my film, but not reccomended!
  • bingobango_3
    Options
    fife_saver wrote:

Definately an experience, watch out for all the spitting

Yeah good point! Make sure you use those paper slippers provided in the hotel rooms, locals (not all though) spit EVERYWHERE, including carpets!

As for taking photos at the Warriors, you'll be fine, I've got hundreds - plus video footage!!!

Hawkers by the Warriors - as mentioned by ianfao, there are lots. Wait until you're leaving and it's like a wall of people walking towards you but you really can get a bargain (box of mini warriors for about 50pence equivalent!).

Don't let any of this put you off, it's fantastic.
  • jen_jen_2
    jen_jen_2 Posts: 1,032 Forumite
    Options
    oh i am so excited but i dont go until January (thats about 6 month away arghh)!!!
    Ready to Go Go!
  • MORPH3US
    MORPH3US Posts: 4,906 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Train travel is amazing in China, Beijing to Shanghai will def be an overnighter.

If you want comfort, go for "Soft sleeper" or if you want to experience "real China" no matter how noisy and disgusting it may be, go for "hard sleeper". Its great fun.

I spent 2 months in China on my gap year and it was amazing. We went from Beijing all the way down to Hong Kong with loads of stops in the middle in Xian, Shanghai, Pingyao etc etc!

M
  • Tils
    Tils Posts: 303 Forumite
    Options
    fife_saver wrote:
    tils, You'll find Visa and cirrus is accepted at most ATM's. Definately the easiest way. I had some us dollars travellers cheques as back up but didn't use them.

Arnt you charged interest for "cash" if you use a visa card though? or is it different to withdrawing money from ATM in UK?
  • fruitpie
    fruitpie Posts: 202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    tils

Did you find the info regarding your Visa for China ? we got ours through Oriental Travel.
  • fife_saver
    Options
    Tils wrote:
    Arnt you charged interest for "cash" if you use a visa card though? or is it different to withdrawing money from ATM in UK?

It's the same as here, but I have a Visa Debit card, which is the same as cirrus.
  • Tils
    Tils Posts: 303 Forumite
    Options
    fruitpie wrote:
    tils

Did you find the info regarding your Visa for China ? we got ours through Oriental Travel.

Not much going to do it through the link i posted....doesnt seem many choices. I live too far to go to London to get the passport done myself would cost just as much to get a company to do it.

fife_saver wrote:
    It's the same as here, but I have a Visa Debit card, which is the same as cirrus.

ok what I suspected. I think i might need to arrange some other way then to be safe. Dont want to pay interest on a Visa card.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MORPH3US wrote:
    Train travel is amazing in China, Beijing to Shanghai will def be an overnighter.

If you want comfort, go for "Soft sleeper" or if you want to experience "real China" no matter how noisy and disgusting it may be, go for "hard sleeper". Its great fun.
    M

"Soft" sleeper is indeed comfortable. So is "hard" sleeper -- the beds themselves are exactly the same, but while "soft" gives you a compartment with four berths, in "hard" you are in an open carriage with beds stacked three-high. "Hard" is certainly a better option for meeting people (generally middle-class Chinese) but is not a good idea if you have a lot of luggage. However, "Soft" might not be a good idea for women travelling alone, since you might be shut up in a compartment with three me.

For "real" China with its noisy and disgusting aspects, you should choose "hard seat". This is how migrant workers travel -- nothing wrong with the seats (but for an overnight trip you would want a bed) but these carriages get horribly overcrowded, with people spitting on the floor, toilets being very heavily used, so not for the faint-hearted.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    For money, I always use my Nationwide flex account and just withdraw money using an ATM. So long as there is money in the account to start with, there are no interest charges nor any other fees. And for purchases I sometimes use a Nationwide visa (credit) card -- like purchases anywhere, there is no interest so long as you make full payment by the due date. However, many outlets will give you a cash discount, so the credit card is of most value as a tool for negotiation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure