Finding tradesmen - Any recommendations?

Can anyone recommend a building contractor or any tradesmen in London? I am desparate to start work on my flat and stuck without someone to start work.

Living in London and trying to upgrade my flat is such a pain. I am not able to find any good tradesmen to come and work. Either they are too expensive or they don't bother responding to your calls.
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket. :rolleyes:

Comments

• My top tip is to ring up a reputable letting agency, sweet talk the girl on reception and as who they would use to do the job...

Cheeky, but if you can carry it off, you tend to get good people.
  • Volcano
    Volcano Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Either they are too expensive or they don't bother responding to your calls.

If the work you need doing is (in the eyes of the builders) a small job of little financial reward, then instead of telling you outright they are likely to:

a) ignore your call so you'll try elsewhere, or

b) give you an inflated price so if you do agree to them doing the work, at least it will make it worth their while

I'm not saying that this is happening in your case as I don't know your circumstances, but I'm guessing that if you called back those who ignored you and said you have a 5 bed detached property that needs renovating they'd be falling overthemselves to give you a quote.

Hope you find someone soon!
  • corey
    corey Posts: 21 Forumite
    You could try the Trustmark website. Its a government endorsed site. If you put your postcode in it will bring up a list of tradespeople. The good thing is that there is a complaints procedure you can go through if things go wrong so there is less likelihood of cowboy buiders then. https://www.trustmark.org
    Corrina + brood!! :grouphug:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport