We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Quick Q on 6 month limit

Options
I have asked advice on here before(possibly on my fathers account on his behalf) and decided to go to the FOS on a PPI claim on a RBS Bank loan, instead of accepting the £750 offer we recieved from RBS, despite them rejecting our claims in their final offer letter. We wrote a letter back with an amount we wanted, in the region of £3500(according to what it should have been with interest and such) and the reply we got back was the same as the first.

One thing to note was that my old man thought that in the first letter when it stated we had 6 months from the date of the final letter to launch an appeal to the FOS, he thought(for some reason) it said it was 6 months until the £750 offer expired when it was infact....the length of time to appeal. I work offshore and i was helping him out with all this stuff as he is a little rubbish at this carry-on himself but obviously i am away alot of the time so time is short. We only realised the 6 month period after it expired last week, after i recently got home.

My question is, is that us screwed? Is there anyway round this? I was happy to let the £750 offer expire because i told him we should proceed anyway with what we believed a legitimate claim and the offer really isnt good enough and now it seems we have missed the boat. How come we have like 6 years to make the claim in the first place but only 6 months from the final offer. Any advice would b much appreciated, cheers.

Andy

Comments

• di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    ICTAndy wrote: »
    I have asked advice on here before(possibly on my fathers account on his behalf) and decided to go to the FOS on a PPI claim on a RBS Bank loan, instead of accepting the £750 offer we recieved from RBS, despite them rejecting our claims in their final offer letter. We wrote a letter back with an amount we wanted, in the region of £3500(according to what it should have been with interest and such) and the reply we got back was the same as the first.

One thing to note was that my old man thought that in the first letter when it stated we had 6 months from the date of the final letter to launch an appeal to the FOS, he thought(for some reason) it said it was 6 months until the £750 offer expired when it was infact....the length of time to appeal. I work offshore and i was helping him out with all this stuff as he is a little rubbish at this carry-on himself but obviously i am away alot of the time so time is short. We only realised the 6 month period after it expired last week, after i recently got home.

My question is, is that us screwed? Is there anyway round this? I was happy to let the £750 offer expire because i told him we should proceed anyway with what we believed a legitimate claim and the offer really isnt good enough and now it seems we have missed the boat. How come we have like 6 years to make the claim in the first place but only 6 months from the final offer. Any advice would b much appreciated, cheers.

Andy

Hi Andy

I would explain this to the FOS, I'm sure they will take this into consideration, let them know that your dad is unable to deal with this without help and he got confused on what the timescale meant, but now that you are here to help him you realise he got muddled on this.

Worth explaining to the FOS, they should consider this for your dad, good luck and please let us know what they say.
    http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/contact/index.html
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • ICTAndy
    Options
    Ok, i've just sent an e-mail off explaining our problem, hopefully ill get a positive answer. Nice one cheers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport