Boiler probs

Hi guys,

Boiler = Old Myson one with water Tank, emersion heater etc

My boiler has developed a strange habit. It randomly fires up during the day for about a minute each time. As the electric valves are shut and the pump is off it just heats up the water in the pipes closest to the boiler which is a bit worrying.

Does anyone know whats going on? My guess is that there's something wrong with the control box? If thats the case are they easy to get replaced as the current one is very old?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• alanobrien
    alanobrien Posts: 3,308 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    whufc wrote:
    Hi guys,

Boiler = Old Myson one with water Tank, emersion heater etc

My boiler has developed a strange habit. It randomly fires up during the day for about a minute each time. As the electric valves are shut and the pump is off it just heats up the water in the pipes closest to the boiler which is a bit worrying.

Does anyone know whats going on? My guess is that there's something wrong with the control box? If thats the case are they easy to get replaced as the current one is very old?

Thanks in advance

By control box if you mean timer these are fairly easy to replace especially if your existing unit has an industry standard back plate.

Personally i would have it checked out.....sounds like a very odd fault to me.
  • Strange fault indeed. Is it firing the pump at the same time? Could be the motorised valve switch making a circuit somehow temporarily.
  • whufc_3
    whufc_3 Posts: 43 Forumite
    Thanks for the replies guys appreciate it.

moneysavingplumber - the pump isn't running when this happens.

I had the motorised valves and pump replaced about three months ago as they were very old and one of the valves was sticking open causing the heating to stay on permanently! Maybe there is a loose wire or incorrect wiring in the junction box thingy?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure