Balance transfer question

Simple question: If you open a new credit card account and wish to take advantage of their balance transfer offer for new customers, can you do the balance transfer to someone elses credit card? (ie wife, girlfriend, brother and so on).

They normally just ask for the credit card number so I don't see why not, but if anyone knows otherwise, please let me know :)

Thanks

Comments

• merulok
    merulok Posts: 28 Forumite
    I've never had a problem doing this myself and don't recall seeing anyone else post regarding difficulties. (Capital One's website application form even says explicitly that you can do it: "Any balance that is transferred from a partner's card will become your responsibility when it is transferred to your Capital One account.")
    Each lender may have their own criteria but I have never been asked for the name on the card - just the card number, issuer and amount.
  • That's correct, you can pay off anyone's card. If you want you can pay off my credit card;)

The only problem you might face is if the 2 cards are from the same Supplier. If this is the case you won't be able to take advantage of the offer. The Balance transfer will be at their normal % not the introductory one.

The 2 cards have to be from different suppliers.

eg. Halifax Band Of Scotland and Intelligent Finance cards won't work because Halifax is the supplier of both these cards.

Check these links to see if the suppliers of the 2 cards are different.

http://www.stoozing.com/cards.htm
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=41676

steven
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    merulok wrote:
    Each lender may have their own criteria but I have never been asked for the name on the card - just the card number, issuer and amount.
    I've no recent experience, but HSBC used to (last December) ask for the cardholder's name.

Whether it was just used as an additional verification check, or could indeed affect the outcome of a BT request, I don't know.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure