»

Ideas to make vegetable more interesting?

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: Stay up to date with the latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
Stay updated with our guides: Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights
NEWSFLASH 27/03
MARTINS VIDEO FOR SELF-EMPLOYED * DELAY HOUSE MOVES * EUROSTAR UPDATE

Ideas to make vegetable more interesting?

edited 30 March 2010 at 7:05PM in Old Style MoneySaving
30 replies 11.2K views
is76is76 Forumite
29 posts
edited 30 March 2010 at 7:05PM in Old Style MoneySaving
I eat loads of vegetables - I really love all kinds. I am looking for some new ideas for them.

I currently do a mix of the following:

mashed turnip with some spinach stirred through them
frozen green bean sauted in a pan with garlic paste
frozen green beans sauted and add some tinned chopped tomatoes
steam cabbage with teaspoon of pesto or thai curry paste
caramalised onions
roasted veg with pesto/curry paste/thai paste
chopped veg with hummus
stir fried veg with peri peri sauce or hot pepper sauce

Any more ideas?

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Replies

• Jojo_the_TightfistedJojo_the_Tightfisted Forumite
    27.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put steamed potato, sweet potato, carrot, pumpkin, swede, etc, into a potato ricer. Serve this light, fluffy wonder with butter and salt. Very light but delicious!
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • CCPCCP Forumite
    5.1K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I love cabbage (any kind) stirfried with garlic, and bacon as well if you're not vegetarian. Another nice but non-veggie one is broccoli stirfried with anchovies, garlic and chilli - sounds odd but is utterly delicious. I think it's an Italian recipe, traditionally served as a pasta dish, but it's lovely with just about anything. It works with kale, too.

A more vegetarian-friendly favourite is tinned beans or chickpeas with tinned tomatoes or passata, herbs and a pinch of sugar, cooked until really thick - sort of home-made baked beans, I suppose.

I also like my veggies (any kind or combination) in cheese and mustard sauce, either as a meal on its own topped with breadcrumbs or sliced potato, or as a side dish.
  • Butterfly_BrainButterfly_Brain Forumite
    8.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love to sprinkle Honey and sesame seeds over roast carrots,parsnips etc
    maple syrup is another fave as is sweet chilli sauce
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • is76is76 Forumite
    29 posts
    stirfried brocolli with anchovies etc, I have some of them lurking in cupboard and I was wondering what to do with them - sounds great!

Keep the ideas coming......
  • PeartreePeartree Forumite
    788 posts
    Roasted root veg, particularly parsnips, with wholegrain mustard and maple syrup. Delia also did roasted parsnips with parmesan which is lovely. I also like my asparagus roasted with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Balsamic vinegar is also fantastic over roasted peppers. Have you tried beetroot? The vacuum packs of pre-prepared beetroot are easy (not pickled!) and I found a recipe which did them with some cream and horseradish which went down very well. Which also reminds me of a recipe which someone else might know from Jamie Oliver which, I think, involved doing broad beans in the oven in a greaseproof paper parcel with some cream and parmesan?
  • babyshoesbabyshoes Forumite
    1.7K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Aubergine bake - I don't much like aubergines, but this is yummy! No measurements here, all done by eye! Cut thick slices (1cm or so) of aubergine, rinsed and dried, then sprinkled liberally with salt and put in a collander/sieve to drain for at least half an hour. Meanwhile, fry up some diced onions till soft and put aside, then get all other ingredients ready. Wash salt off aubergine, and fry slices in a little oil till browned. Don't go nuts with the oil, it WILL soak it all up and really just needs enough to stop it sticking and brown it a little. Layer up onions, aubergine, and tinned and/or fresh tomato with some mixed herbs stirred in. Top with feta (or equivalent 'salad cheese') and bake in a medium oven until nicely browned and very hot right through.

We make up a batch in individual 2 portion foil containers (not very eco friendly, but so useful) and part bake, then freeze. They are fine going straight from freezer to oven with foil over the top to stop it burning. Could be done in larger pyrex type container to serve more people.
    Trust me - I'm NOT a doctor!
  • Spinach wilted in a bit of butter with salt, pepper and a grating of nutmeg....simple but very tasty!
    "...I, being poor, have only my dreams;
    I have spread my dreams under your feet;
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."
    WB Yeats.
  • BitterAndTwistedBitterAndTwisted Forumite
    22.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    babyshoes wrote: »
    Aubergine bake - I don't much like aubergines, but this is yummy! No measurements here, all done by eye! Cut thick slices (1cm or so) of aubergine, rinsed and dried, then sprinkled liberally with salt and put in a collander/sieve to drain for at least half an hour. Meanwhile, fry up some diced onions till soft and put aside, then get all other ingredients ready. Wash salt off aubergine, and fry slices in a little oil till browned. Don't go nuts with the oil, it WILL soak it all up and really just needs enough to stop it sticking and brown it a little. Layer up onions, aubergine, and tinned and/or fresh tomato with some mixed herbs stirred in. Top with feta (or equivalent 'salad cheese') and bake in a medium oven until nicely browned and very hot right through.

I do this recipe topped with mozzarella and grated parmesan then it becomes Melanzana Parmigiana. It's truly delicious.

All vegetables are good with freshly chopped parsley and carrots and peas in parsley sauce as was made by my mother is wonderful.
  • edited 25 March 2010 at 3:49PM
    parsonswife8parsonswife8 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    edited 25 March 2010 at 3:49PM
    Baked butternut sprinked with cinnamon and brown sugar, before cooking.
    Honey baked parsnips.
    Gnocchi, baked with spinach, garlic and cream.
    Colcannon mash(mashed potatoes, cooked cabbage and chopped spring onions).
    Peppers or beef tomatoes stuffed with savoury rice and cheese and baked.
    Green beans cooked with bacon bits and crushed garlic.
    Big flat mushrooms stuffed with garlic, breadcrumbs and crumbled feta cheese, grilled.
    Baby chanternay carrots drizzled with honey.

;) Felines are my favourite ;)
  • ubamotherubamother Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Cheese gratin over the top of pretty much any vegetable adds a lovely savoury crispness