Problems with my fridge.

Options
I have an A rating fridge, its about 2 1/2 years old, and no matter what temp i have it, it always seems to freeze at the back!!! I have to turn it down to about 1 to get it to defrost!!!! Also, the top shelf of the fridge doesnt get cold, for example, if i put the butter on the top shelf it stays soft, the rest of the fridge seems fine, just the back covered in ice, and the top shelf (which has frozen at the back) not getting cold. Hope someone can help!!!!

Comments

• windym_2
    windym_2 Posts: 5,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Catherine, it could be that the air is not circulating inside. The fridge generally gets wet or frozen at the back if the air cannot get around the food. Things too tight to the back could also stop the top of the fridge cooling (which is never as cool as the bottom). Hth.
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Thanks windym, must admit, i thought that you needed to keep your fridge full to get the best out of it!!!! Will make sure i move some bits around, and keep them away from the back, and hopefully that will help!!!!
  • comping_cat
    Options
    Well, i have cleaned my fridge out, made sure that nothing is too near the back, and things arnt to tightly packed together, however, about an hour after, it is already re freezing at the back!!!!! I really dont know what im doing to cause this now!!!!!!
  • Transactionumber
    Options
    I had the same problem as I kept my fridge a 4c I just turned it up to 6c and it stopped the ice build up on the back of the fridge.Hope this is of some help!!
  • comping_cat
    Options
    Thanks leachy, will try that now!!!!
  • Martini
    Martini Posts: 607 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The plate at the back will freeze up. It's working exactly as it is meant to!
    Don't place items so that they lean against the plate as they will freeze on contact. They will also get wet during the defrost cycle and water may run onto the shelves etc. The plate will warm up occasionaly to automatically defrost itself. This happens quickly so that it doesn't warm the fridge up too much. This is when the plate appears wet. The water runs down into the collection gutter and into a tube that runs down to a collection tray on the top of the compressor unit. The heat from this evaporates the water into the room.

The top shelf of the fridge is obviously the warmest. Get a fridge thermometer to check the temperature is low enough. It should be 5 deg C or less.
    Keep Smiling
    :) Site member number 24 :)
  • Lord_Gardener
    Lord_Gardener Posts: 2,971 Forumite
    Options
    Does your fridge have an ice box? Ours does, and has an adjustable sliding shelf to alter the flow rate of cold air - too much cold air and freezes items at back of fridge! Allowing air to flow and mix very important, have found a difference of 5C between top and bottom when too much stuff packed in - just a thought!
    I'm mad!!!! :rotfl::jand celebrating everyday every year!!!
  • comping_cat
    Options
    Thank you for all the replys, ive now turned the temp down, and although the fridge is still freezing at the back, its not as much. Im making sure nothing is touching the back (last week the egg box and 2 eggs froze into the back of the fridge!!!!) and that there is space for the 'air' to circulate, so hopefully everything will be ok now!!!!
    Thanks again for all the replys!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport