PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Stamp duty form sdlt!

Options

Comments

• princessamy86
    princessamy86 Posts: 4,889 Forumite
    Options
    There's a helpline OP if you're not sure? It's on one of the links I posted.
    Scar tissue that I wish you saw, sarcastic mister know it all, close your eyes and I'll kiss you cause with the birds I'll share this lonely view.
  • kaych
    kaych Posts: 376 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sandraa, I was thinking exactly the same thing! If I can do it myself, I would rather spend some time in the evening (otherwise am just watching tv and random online surfing anyway) and save every penny! I was looking at the HMRC website and it says the easiest would be to fill the form online. but finding it difficult to register, then you have to wait 7 days for the user ID and a pincode... too complicated.. may actually have to pay the £50...
  • sandraa_2
    sandraa_2 Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    kaych wrote: »
    sandraa, I was thinking exactly the same thing! If I can do it myself, I would rather spend some time in the evening (otherwise am just watching tv and random online surfing anyway) and save every penny! I was looking at the HMRC website and it says the easiest would be to fill the form online. but finding it difficult to register, then you have to wait 7 days for the user ID and a pincode... too complicated.. may actually have to pay the £50...

Hi Kaych,
    We have to order the paperform online, someone put a link for it earlier on this thread. We can not do online as it is only for conveyancer... They really are not making it easy for us! But it make me feel like doing it even more!
    When is your completion date? Mine is Friday and we have four weeks after that to sort it out... not too bad.
    Good luck with that.
    Let me know what you decide.

Sandra
  • timmyt
    timmyt Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    Options
    no decent lawyer charges for filling in (takes 3 mins) an sdlt form. it is part of their job. did you choose a cheapo lawyer - if so, god knows what erors may have been made or oversights

the lawyer needs to take charge of it and the payment of the duty, as theyare under an obligation to your lender (if you have one) to make sure it is done as part of their registration
    My posts are just my opinions and are not offered as legal advice - though I consider them darn fine opinions none the less.:cool2:

My bad spelling...well I rush type these opinions on my own time, so sorry, but they are free.:o
  • sandraa_2
    Options
    timmyt wrote: »
    no decent lawyer charges for filling in (takes 3 mins) an sdlt form. it is part of their job. did you choose a cheapo lawyer - if so, god knows what erors may have been made or oversights

the lawyer needs to take charge of it and the payment of the duty, as theyare under an obligation to your lender (if you have one) to make sure it is done as part of their registration

I did not go for a cheap solicitor and a lot of them do charge extra for the service...

YES I agree it should be done at no extra charge especially when it takes them only 5 mins.

That is why I want to try to do it myself... TO FIGHT THE SYSTEM!
  • kaych
    Options
    sandraa wrote: »
    Hi Kaych,
    We have to order the paperform online, someone put a link for it earlier on this thread. We can not do online as it is only for conveyancer... They really are not making it easy for us! But it make me feel like doing it even more!
    When is your completion date? Mine is Friday and we have four weeks after that to sort it out... not too bad.
    Good luck with that.
    Let me know what you decide.

Sandra

Sandra,
    Mine is still a long way away, due for completion in June. It's just that we have to appoint a solicitor and see this 'Legal Fees on Stamp Duty Land Tax Return', and was hoping maybe we could avoid this cost.
    Yeah I tried to order it online too but the page timed out! I will try again. Let me know how you get on. All the best of luck to the both of us :)
    K

I don't know how much is regarded as cheap for a solictor, but ours will cost us a total of just under £1200 for a 227k flat.
  • kaych
    Options
    for info

Example of the Stamp Duty Tax form (SDLT1) form:
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/so/sdlt1-sample.pdf
    SDLT1 guidelines to help you fill in the form:
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/so/sdlt6.pdf
    Tips on how to fill in the form:
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/so/helpcard.pdf
  • Richard_Webster
    Options
    It's just that we have to appoint a solicitor and see this 'Legal Fees on Stamp Duty Land Tax Return', and was hoping maybe we could avoid this cost.

That's easy go to a solicitor like me or TimmyT who doesn't charge extra for filling in the form - quite easy to find out if you ring round for "quotes".
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
  • seabright
    seabright Posts: 639 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd also check that your solicitor won't charge you for checking the form and submitting it.

I agree with Richard & TimmyT, I find it unbelievable that firms charge for completing them, it should just be part of the job, like completing every other form connected with a house purchase. We'd never even think of charging extra for it.
  • sandraa_2
    Options
    Next time (hopefully not soon!) I will make sure that this is include in the price...

But for now wish me good luck, I had a look at the sample on the internet and doesn t look too bad as my case is really simple... well let s see if I manage.

The thing I really don t like is the the HMRC website doesn t make it easy for people to do it on their own... why can t I just do it online... not bloody fair!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure