Marks and Spencer Card Fraud

Options
Went to use my M&S credit card online yesterday and the transaction was refused. 5 minutes later got a call from the credit card company saying that any new transactions had been flagged and that due to "a potential compromise" of the card they were going to cancel the card and send a new one out.

I asked if they would tell me where the card had been compromised, but they refused to say. Is this normal ? I do not have a problem with them taking action, but would be nice to know which merchant to avoid in future.

Comments

• immoral_angeluk
    immoral_angeluk Posts: 24,506 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's quite common if they spot any unusual activity or large purchases on the card. Better safe than sorry and all that! I had Barclays block my debit card a while back because I'd bought something through xbox live and the payment was based in luxembourg. They flagged it and blocked the card to be on the safe side. All I had to do was call them up and confirm the last purchases and it was fine.

Put it this way.. better them be extra careful than the alternative!
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • sparkie2000
    Options
    I have had something very similar happen to me this afternoon! I tried to make two purchases online from Amazon ( from whom I have ordered stuff many times) for a small amount and the other for a larger amount from a Tv store. I had to call them and they informed my my card had been 'compromised' and could not explain how and they have now stopped my card and are sending me a new one. Maybe their 'flagging ' system is ultra sensitive to new purchases but it does defeat the supposed convenience factor of a CC ( I have had to phone them to ok transactions in the past) I have also phoned them in advance of a trip abroad to tell them that I will be using my CC there , only to have it blocked anyway when I tried to use it !
  • Shaz93
    Options
    Same thing happened to me yesterday. When they phoned me to tell me my card had been 'compromised' they would not tell me how. I applaud their security measures, but it would be helpful to know what has happened. Also, they said it will be 7-10 days before I get my new card, which is very inconvenient. Maybe it's time to shop around?
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It is normal not to be told where they think your card has been compromised - at the time it is still under investigation.

It would not help you anyhow, because the chances are that your card got copied by some guy at some fuel pump when you paid for your fuel and then used it on online purchase - so obviously until further investigation (and sometimes not even then) they don't know which is the shop you need to avoid.

(exactly this happened to my friend. He thinks he knows where his card was cloned, but it is just his opinion. He cannot be sure and if you do many transactions a month it is difficult to find out which shop cloned your card)
  • ElkyElky
    ElkyElky Posts: 2,459 Forumite
    Options
    sparkle2000 and shaz93 are the same person - at least try and come up with something original. All of these posting stories under different usernames is boring (seriously). ;)
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    Options
    ElkyElky wrote: »
    sparkle2000 and shaz93 are the same person - at least try and come up with something original. All of these posting stories under different usernames is boring (seriously). ;)

I was thinking the same... maybe even the OP might be?
    But why would they try to damage M&S?

Maybe unhappy customers?;)
  • deedums
    deedums Posts: 593 Forumite
    Options
    Same here too!

Used my card in the morning to do my normal weekly shop, a couple of hours later I had a phone call saying my card had been 'compromised' and they had cancelled it and would send a replacement. They did say that this had happened with quite a few M&S cards and they were investigating it.

This was about 10 days ago and my new card arrived yesterday :) I'm just glad they're vigilant
  • dbmabz
    dbmabz Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    To Any

As the OP no I am not using any other usernames to post this. I have nothing against M&S. Just curious as to what was going on.
  • Shaz93
    Options
    I do not use post under any other name and have nothing against M & S, I too am just curious about what's going on, I appreciate M & S's vigilance, but obviously want to know if anything I have done has 'compromised' my card. So, sorry 'Elky' I am not a disatisfied M & S customer, just a puzzled one.
  • sharpy2010
    sharpy2010 Posts: 2,471 Forumite
    Options
    Weird how the writing style of the OP, Sparkle2000 and Shaz93 is almost identical...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure