Ryanair and medical syringes

Options
Hi

Can anybody advise me the procedure with Ryanair for carrying refrigerated medicines and syringes on board. I am travelling with just cabin baggage and can provide info from my consultant. My flight is only 2hrs so can keep my meds in a cool bag. I know they must come across this all the time but I wondered whether anybody had any direct experience ( I have heard horror stories of charging for carrying medical equipment with Ryanair so would like some clarification )

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• deegee999
    deegee999 Posts: 308 Forumite
    Options
    Why would ryanair know what is in your hand luggage, getting them through security will be the interesting bit especially at stanstead.
  • ladymarmalade222
    Options
    I have opted for cabin baggage which is restricted to one bag and 10 kg so I wondered whether Ryanair allow you extra baggage for carrying medical equipment without charge. I know security will be ok if I have a letter.

I thought maybe some forum members are perhaps diabetic (Im not diabetic but it requires daily injections lkie my condition) and were familiar with Ryanair and their policies.

Many Thanks
  • jinty271
    jinty271 Posts: 1,542 Forumite
    edited 23 March 2010 at 4:47PM
    Options
    I have travelled Ryan Air, carrying preloaded adrenaline epipens. I took the letter from my Consultant, as we were also concerned. We were even going to offer to allow the cabin staff to keep a hold of the medication. We flew from Edinburgh, at a time of very High Security. The staf did have a quick look, then waved us through without a problem. We will be flying Ryan Air again , on Monday, and dont anticipate any problems in carrying life saving meds ( even though we will also have hold luggage, we need instance access to this medication at all times) HTH

Edit : sorry, I re-read and notice your query was more in relation to weight- apologies, im not sure what the situation would be ,in this regard
    I don't know much, but I know I love you ....<3
  • Incapuppy
    Incapuppy Posts: 5,713 Forumite
    Options
    I would call their Special Assistance phone line and clarify the situation directly with them.
  • harpo1
    harpo1 Posts: 164 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Its no problem, my diabetic daughter does this all the time. She working abroad on placement so has been carrying 3 months supply of insulin syringes & pens at a time as she still gets her meds here. Bring the letter from your gp/ doctor for the security people & thats it. Good luck
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    harpo1 wrote: »
    Its no problem, my diabetic daughter does this all the time. She working abroad on placement so has been carrying 3 months supply of insulin syringes & pens at a time as she still gets her meds here. Bring the letter from your gp/ doctor for the security people & thats it. Good luck

Is this with Ryanair and how much additional handbaggage over the limit do they allow her?
  • ladymarmalade222
    ladymarmalade222 Posts: 638 Forumite
    edited 25 March 2010 at 11:52AM
    Options
    Hi

Just an update, managed to speak to Ryan Air Special Assistance Line who answered straight away! The lady was really helpful, she asked what I needed to take with me, how much it would weigh and would I need special assistance on the aircraft etc. She advised me to carry my letter from consultant with me for security at the airport. Within a few minutes she emailed me a RyanAir Authorisation letter to allow me extra baggage allowance and for an extra bag carrying 3kg (this is what I estimated but could have said more).

Well done Ryan Air for your efficient service!

Many Thanks for your help
  • melb
    melb Posts: 2,880 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just wondered if anyone knew the situation with crutches. we're flying with bmibaby next week to paris and my son's walking on crutches at the moment (footbaling injury - nothing broken) but can hop short distances (don't laugh - I try not to!) I'm hoping he might be able to manage without them by then but if not has anyone done this before. then the week after we're flying with ryanair to malaga - anyone experience of this please? thanksx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure